Our partner

please help 24 year old father always afraid im going to die

Hypochondriasis message board, open discussion, and online support group.

please help 24 year old father always afraid im going to die

Postby tmlhypochondriac » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:10 am

hi i am 24 years old, a father of a 3 year old and engaged to be married, I always think im dying of cancer, everytime i hear of a specific type of cancer i become obsessed that i have it. the most common type is bowel as ive always had bowel problems, 4 years ago i had a colonoscopy done and everything was ok(although i study the report trying to find ways that im not ok) and now resently ive found blood in my stool, so far ive seen 3 doctors all of which done a visual exam and said it was an anal fissure and treated it with cream. I still convince myself its cancer and no doctors will give me a colonoscopy because there is no need but i cannot stop panicing, im on effexor for anxiety. this disease, its effecting my quality of life with my family because im so depressed about thinking im dying that i don't want to do anything, cannot get motivated, i know i cant let this disease win but its so very hard, someone with any sort of wisdom please help me because my family does not deserve to put up with this all the time. :(
tmlhypochondriac
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: please help 24 year old father always afraid im going to

Postby Wisedude » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:02 pm

Well I am not sure about the blood in your stool. You may wish to get a 2nd opinion from a different doctor to be safe (it would worry me)

Your 24 and will probably be okay, but sometimes people know something is wrong with their bodies before the doctor.

The truth is, you need to accept you can die.

It is true, I have know various people to die around your age.

But you can't spend your whole life worrying about death.

You need to face the fact, that it may be later it may be sooner, but death will come for you in the end.

I wish I could tell you that you will never die, and I wish I could offer you assurance but I can't.

We all have to face it.

You need to distract yourself, slow deep breaths, accept whatever happens.
Wisedude
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Re: please help 24 year old father always afraid im going to

Postby masquerade » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 am

hi i am 24 years old, a father of a 3 year old and engaged to be married, I always think im dying of cancer, everytime i hear of a specific type of cancer i become obsessed that i have it. the most common type is bowel as ive always had bowel problems, 4 years ago i had a colonoscopy done and everything was ok(although i study the report trying to find ways that im not ok) and now resently ive found blood in my stool, so far ive seen 3 doctors all of which done a visual exam and said it was an anal fissure and treated it with cream. I still convince myself its cancer and no doctors will give me a colonoscopy because there is no need but i cannot stop panicing, im on effexor for anxiety. this disease, its effecting my quality of life with my family because im so depressed about thinking im dying that i don't want to do anything, cannot get motivated, i know i cant let this disease win but its so very hard, someone with any sort of wisdom please help me because my family does not deserve to put up with this all the time.

Wisedude, your advice is not helpful.

OP, you have had extensive tests and seen three doctors, so it's highly likely that you can rest assured that they have done everything to ensure that there is nothing wrong. I'm wondering if there is something else going on for you that is causing this anxiety? Have you been bereaved in the past or perhaps heard news of someone dying? Sometimes when a person becomes a parent, or has had a bereavement they can become overly aware of their own mortality.

Yes, of course life has no guarantees, and any one of us could literally die tomorrow, but to worry extensively about this can affect a person's quality of life in the here and now, which is what is happening in your case. I have had many bereavements and perhaps because of this I view life as a GIFT, something precious, something to appreciate in the present moment.

Have you considered talking to a counsellor about your concerns, as this might help you to gain a sense of perspective, and enable you to live for the present moment, appreciating all that life has to offer.
http://youtu.be/myyITD5LWo4

http://youtu.be/IaBLhoWTkMI

forum-rules.php
No lap top atm so may be delayed in replying to you. If urgent please approach another moderator
masquerade
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: please help 24 year old father always afraid im going to die

Postby Anchorless » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:40 am

I'm 29, Male. I have exactly the same issue that you have, except about my heart. It's an obsession, I'm always hearing about young people dying this way or that way and constantly asking the same questions. My advice that I wish I could take. Follow a health plan...plan for your future health. Take supplements, exercise regularly, eat healthy food, loose belly fat, dont smoke, dont binge drink. That combination will give you the best chances of not developing cancers. It's really everyones best shot at having a healthy life. Just take care of yourself and realize that's all you can really do. rest easy knowing you are taking proactive measures that are scientifically documented to reduce risk. Bask in the endorphins and clean eating. Be mindful of your progress.
Anchorless
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Return to Hypochondriasis Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post