Our partner

Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)

Hope, Healing and Coping.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)

Postby ijoyner » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:18 pm

Hey all, I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 disorder at least by 10 different doctors... that was me going through my acceptance phase lol. It takes what it takes. Anyways I wanted to let everyone know about a fantastic therapy called DBT that has saved my life. It's traditionally used for Borderline personality disorder but can be used for any disorder or just therapy. It's an intensive therapy that is a fusion between cognitive behavior therapy and others. My experience in six months of being on therapy:

Got off social security disability
Got a job
Improved my relationship with wife and children
Reduced medications by 70%

I'm not saying this is for everyone just thought it's useful to let others know about. Its not usually applied to Bipolar so I thought I'd share my experience.
ijoyner
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)

Postby ariaQuin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Hello, as a borderline (comorbid with other disorders and traits), I also am eternally grateful to DBT. I'm happy that you find it useful for your condition too!

I also can relate and understand the "acceptance phase". In my experience, it took me four years before I was "officially diagnosed" with BPD. Prior to that, I had seen/consulted and switched psychologists and psychiatrists several times. Various diagnosis were assigned to me and although some aspects of those conditions is applicable to me, for the longest time, none of them really felt right. Previous therapists, although their intentions might have been good, tried to force me into the mold of their given diagnosis. I was then subjected to treatments for these conditions, which provided little to negligible relief.

However, when the right diagnosis and treatment (in particular, DBT and mindfulness based CT) were finally given to me, it was then when I started to "see" life. It was still far from pleasant in the beginning, but it eventually became better.

DBT really helped and still is, helping me save my life. x)
ariaQuin
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)

Postby RottenFish » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:27 pm

That's awesome news! I've heard great stories about how wonderful DBT is, and how effective it is for many people.

Your story is the most inspiring of them all.
Primary Dx: OCD
Meds: None

✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。
Make love. Not war.
✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。
RottenFish
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Hope