Our partner

"The Landmark Case of Ruth E..."

Histrionic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: xdude

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the Histrionic Personality Disorder forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of HPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non HP readers. Discussions related to HPD behavior are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging or encouraging these urges is not what this forum is intended for.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse from HPDs. .
Non HPD users are welcome to post here, But their questions Must have a respectful tone.
If you are a NON and have issues with an past relationship with an HPD person, it is suggested that you Post in a Relationship forum. Here is a link to that forum: relationship/

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

"The Landmark Case of Ruth E..."

Postby orion13213 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 am

In the Wikipedia article "Histrionic Personality Disorder" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histrionic_personality_disorder>

"The landmark case of Ruth E. helped to fully define and emphasize the characteristics of the current DSM-IV diagnostic [of HPD]."

Anybody read the case of Ruth E., and if so where can it be found on the net? If you have details from memory about this case by all means post.

Thanx
Be tolerant of others, but true to yourself. In supporting you, I try to offer common sense. PM me if you need to.
Review policies here: forum-rules.php
Sorry, I cannot delete posts.
orion13213
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: "The Landmark Case of Ruth E..."

Postby goodbyenormajean » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:46 am

Ya she was one of Freud's. I'll try to find an article for you.

-- Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:56 am --

No, I was wrong. I think that the landmark case of Ruth E must have surely meant Anna O.
The only other person that I can find he analyzed was Ruth Jane Mack Brunswick, she was a psychoanalyst that worked with Freud and was given the Wolf-man case to work on. She had family issues of her own and was said to be outgoing and vivacious. She helped link childhood issues to psychological problems.
There was another Ruth that he worked with named Ruth Benedict who was a social anthropologist

<http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/brunswick.html>

<http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/155/2/163?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&searchid=1106458977587_7130&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&minscore=5000&journalcode=ajp>

http://www.enotes.com/psychoanalysis-en ... -ruth-mack
I dunno. I couldn't find any cases about a Ruth E? You can call the author of the Wiki article who also was on the board for the DSM IV at 1800-777-8442 and ask him who the heck Ruth E. is? I would imagine it to either be a typo or talking about Ruth Brunswick. Good luck.
goodbyenormajean
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:55 am

Postby orion13213 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:42 am

Thanks for the legwork! I'll give the last one a try...

-- Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:42 pm --

Thanks for the legwork! I'll give the last one a try...
Be tolerant of others, but true to yourself. In supporting you, I try to offer common sense. PM me if you need to.
orion13213
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby goodbyenormajean » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:40 pm

No problem. Research is fun for me. Also, I prefer the educational posts. Let me know what you discover, I'm very curious.
goodbyenormajean
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby undenied » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 pm

goodbyenormajean wrote:Ya she was one of Freud's.

Woah, seriously?

goodbyenormajean wrote:No, I was wrong.

Oh, thank god - I was about to blow a gasket if the most relevant research of HPD was way the heck back with Freud. Phew.

I like how on the TOW article there's no citation for this mysterious Ruth E. It seem to have happened sometime in the 80's, during the switch from DSM-III to -IV. Didn't see anything in a quick search.
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:55 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby goodbyenormajean » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 am

No, I mean that I believe Ruth E to be a mistype. I think they are talking about Anna O. Could be wrong though, but hey,
see
Chapters 8 and 9 here

http://books.google.com/books?id=9AqPs9 ... &q&f=false

And you can type a search for Ruth E and come up with nothing here, yet Anna O has several citations

http://books.google.com/books?id=S_xe-A ... 0O&f=false

I really don't think there is a Ruth E. There could be, I barely know how to research case journals and such and do not have access to most of them without paying.
goodbyenormajean
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby orion13213 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:22 am

goodbyenormajean wrote:No, I mean that I believe Ruth E to be a mistype. I think they are talking about Anna O. Could be wrong though, but hey,
see
Chapters 8 and 9 here

http://books.google.com/books?id=9AqPs9 ... &q&f=false

And you can type a search for Ruth E and come up with nothing here, yet Anna O has several citations

http://books.google.com/books?id=S_xe-A ... 0O&f=false

I really don't think there is a Ruth E. There could be, I barely know how to research case journals and such and do not have access to most of them without paying.

Setting aside Ruth E for a moment, thanks for those links. The first one in particular was one of the most lucid accounts of HPD I've yet read. :D
orion13213
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby orion13213 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:20 am

Regarding Anna O. (or Ruth E)

from http://psychology.about.com/od/sigmundf ... anna_o.htm

[begin quote]
Anna O's Real Name: Bertha Pappenheim
Best Known For:
•Anna O. was a patient of physician Josef Breuer.
•Coined the phrase “talking cure.”
•Made significant contributions to social work in Germany.
Born: February 27, 1859
Died: May 28, 1936
Anna O's Significance in Psychology:
Bertha Pappenheim, referred to as Anna O. in the case history, came to Josef Breur for treatment for what was then known as hysteria. While caring for her dying father, Pappenheim experienced a range of symptoms that included partial paralysis, blurred vision, headaches and hallucinations. During the course of treatment, which lasted from 1880 to 1882, Breuer found that talking about her experiences seemed to offer some relief from her symptoms. Pappenheim dubbed the treatment as the “talking cure.”
While Freud never actually met Pappenheim, her story fascinated him and served as the basis for Studies on Hysteria (1895), a book co-written by Breuer and Freud. Breuer’s description of her treatment led Freud to conclude that hysteria was rooted in childhood sexual abuse.
Freud’s insistence on sexuality as a cause eventually led to a rift with Breuer, who did not share this view on the origination of hysteria. "The plunging into sexuality in theory and practice is not to my taste," Breuer explained (Grubin, 2002). While the friendship and collaboration soon ended, Freud would continue his work in the development of talk therapy as a treatment for mental illness.
[end of quote]
orion13213
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Histrionic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post