Our partner

Histrionic and exaggerating/embellishing?

Histrionic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: xdude

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the Histrionic Personality Disorder forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of HPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non HP readers. Discussions related to HPD behavior are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging or encouraging these urges is not what this forum is intended for.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse from HPDs. .
Non HPD users are welcome to post here, But their questions Must have a respectful tone.
If you are a NON and have issues with an past relationship with an HPD person, it is suggested that you Post in a Relationship forum. Here is a link to that forum: relationship/

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Histrionic and exaggerating/embellishing?

Postby krp34 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Hey --

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a friend or partner with histrionic traits/tendencies who exaggerate. For example, I was parallel parking the other day, and I accidentally, very gently, bumped the car behind me. But then my friend retells the story and says I was "crashing into cars!" Or he tells me his boss threw a pencil at him but when I said, "What? You should tell someone? That's not OK," he changed his tune to, 'Oh, well, he through It in my direction," but the truth was he threw the pencil at the floor.

It reminds me of when I was like 12/13 years old, and I'd embellish something to impress my friends. Like if I saw a soda can fall off a shelf at the grocery store, I'd embellish and tell my friends the whole shelf fell and It was this crazy mess. So I guess I can empathize on that level, but what is It? Attention seeking?
krp34
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Histrionic and exaggerating/embellishing?

Postby xdude » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Hey kpr34,

The DSM-IV identified this as a style of speaking that is impressionistic, lacking in detail, emotional oriented. I think the DSM-IV got it right, though this might have been dropped in the DSM-V, for other reasons.

Here are two examples -

a.) They/I bumped into another car at low speed.

b.) They/I CRASHED into car(s)!

The first version is factual, but doesn't evoke much emotion. The second version does evoke an emotional response (and the plural, cars, though not true, is more emotion provoking than a single car).

Here is the hard thing to accept for those who chose version A...

From a certain point of view, and for some, version B is more emotionally intelligent, in that it does evoke an emotional response/interest in others, so if one's goal is social approval, to capture the attention/interest of others, then B is smarter.

On the flip side, there is another group of people who respond better to version A.

There is an excellent book that sorts this out in great detail - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

Short version is that 'fast' thinkers respond better to version B, while 'slow' thinkers respond better to version A. By the way, 'slow' does not mean dim-witted, quite the opposite, it means that they are more aware of their own emotions and others, and less reactive to their emotions. But the reality is many people are 'fast' thinkers, and impressionistic speech does work for some people, or at least works for a while...

Another criteria the DSM-IV also mentions is an appearance of being emotionally 'shallow'. Some impressionistic speech is probably socially smart, but when it becomes a constant, others in longer term relationships (business, friends, romantic, family) do eventually turn it around in their minds, and then what worked for a while, can also become a liability. When everything is overly 'embellished' to use your words, then eventually others become numb to an impressionistic way of speaking, and start asking the questions.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Histrionic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post