Our partner

Home exercise equipment

Exercise message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Home exercise equipment

Postby Manners73 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:15 pm

I'm a bit of a collector of exercise equipment but living in an upstairs flat makes it difficult sometimes because of the noise and I'd rather exercise at home rather than the gym.

I do a lot of cycling and because of this I don't do enough walking so I'm not really using a lot of other muscle groups and so I have started to get aches and pains.

Can't use my treadmill because my downstairs neighbour complains of the noise.

So I got a step machine. Low impact, cheap and you can do it whilst you watch TV. You don't burn a lot of calories but it has really helped to reduce the back pain and also I've noticed a marked improvement when I'm on my bike. So that got me to thinking about my upper body.

I bought an arm bike. They're marketed as under desk bikes and they're kind of aimed at older people.

Got it today anyway £16 and its really great. It actually works the whole of your upper body and you can burn at least 80 calories per hour (based on a 10 minute session).

I would highly recommend this product to anyone. Old, young, people who are housebound, etc...
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Home exercise equipment

Postby Manners73 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Sorry its works out to be about 480 calories per hour based on a ten minute session.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 pm

It is really important to exercise during this difficult period.

If you cannot go outside and you don't have any home exercise equipment then you can make use of what ever you can find lying around the house.

Use tins of soup, beans or spaghetti loops as light weights. You can work your shoulders, triceps and biceps with these.

If you have stairs in your home then just use the bottom step as a makeshift stepper. Listen to your favourite tunes and step for 20 mins at a time.

If you can go out then do so. The fresh air will do you good and walking is an excellent way to lift your mood and it will also get your circulation going.

Where possible, try raising your heart rate slightly at least once a day. Fast walking, skipping or hula hooping are all fun ways to get your heart rate up and also to raise your body temperature.

Stay safe everyone.

I wish you all well.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:21 pm

I must say that I was more than a little bit peeved to find out that the arm bike/under desk bike I bought for £16 has more than trippled in price since the lock down has taken place.

Mine is still going strong.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lilyfairy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 am

There's lots you can do without any specific equipment too.

Air squats, goblet squats- hold a weight to your chest while you air squat- can be anything you've got- pack some things in a smallish bag if you want some more weight. Pantry items are good. You can squat to a chair if you want. You can also hold the weight to your chest or overhead (depending on your choice of items- don't recommend an unstable weight overhead) to lunge with on the spot, or just bodyweight- whatever works for you. Can also fill two carry bags with the same weight and either take them for a walk or stand on the spot with them- it's a good test of grip strength.

Pushups (from your knees or your toes- from your knees is totally ok), burpees, mountain climbers, hip bridges.

There's lots of core exercises you can throw in too- situps, hollow rocks, planks- on your front or side.

Make sure you do some stretching. Even doing some yoga is good too if that's something for you. If you're not sure how to do a movement, there's loads of how-to videos on youtube.

There's a lot of good apps out there that you can use to generate a different workout each time. Yoga apps, whether you're beginner or advanced, and apps that will work as a timer to count down or for intervals. A search of "no equipment workout" will give you endless combinations as well to keep things interesting and make sure no two sessions are the same if you are someone who needs variety.

Make sure you put some music on. Whatever makes you want to move and work to your ability.

I'm a cross fitter. I've been walking 3km (working back up to running after an injury and physical illness) each morning this week, and practicing my handstands against my living room wall. :) I'm trying hard to make a habit of it. I'm struggling without the gym being open. It's easier for me to motivate myself to physically go somewhere to exercise than to do it at home. I'm easily caught in the "I'll do it later" trap.

Really though, nothing about it needs to be complicated, it's just finding what works for you.
Manners73 wrote:Fast walking, skipping or hula hooping are all fun ways to get your heart rate up and also to raise your body temperature.
I want to go find a hula hoop now. :mrgreen:
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.

Currently away- please contact another mod if you need help.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:26 am

Postby thegentlepath » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Good thread Manners73,

Another quiet exercise option for those stuck at home with no equipment or space is Pilates. There are probably videos on YouTube. Pilates is great for toning & posture, as well as all the other benefits exercise provides. Plus for a lot of the Pilates exercises one is lying on the floor, which is great for a lazy person like me.
thegentlepath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:26 am
Blog: View Blog (110)

Postby Manners73 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Thank you for your inputs guys. It nice to get different ideas especially in this current climate.

I also thought that if you have any empty bottles (plastic preferably) then you could fill them with water and use them as weights.

The good thing about this is that you can make them as light or as heavy as you like.

An dancing is a great and fun way to get a bit of exercise as well.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thegentlepath » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:03 pm

You’re welcome. Sometimes I prancercise, but I can’t do it for long because it’s ridiculous. YouTube has videos if you are curious. I also trashercised a few weeks ago, picking up garbage on a short walk near my house. Don’t limit yourself to exercises that already exist. People who live with mental illness also tend to have great creativity, I think.
thegentlepath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:26 am
Blog: View Blog (110)

Return to Exercise

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post