Our partner

Grief Is Love And Love Is Good

A place to discuss the loss of a beloved pet.

Grief Is Love And Love Is Good

Postby Xena » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 am

Hi all.

I came here bc I wasn't sure where to post this. This vid made me SO sad. And that's good, as strange as that may sound to those of you who struggle with your grief. I'm ok with feeling this for another day or 2, if that's what it takes. Strange how these things hit me during my quiet moments, when I don't really have anything else to be sad about...

I have ADD and pain receptors of all kinds are on again/off again for me. It took a whole month for me to cry over my best human friend's death. I've lost pets. Sometimes it takes longer for the sadness to hit me. Sometimes, like with my kitten I saved from an attacker, only to watch her die later, I cry right away. I had to use my own hands to put her stiff little body into a pillowcase shroud, and use my own shovel to break the ground in my backyard to bury her.

There's something so profound about digging a grave. It truly is the flipside of reaping a harvest. From Mother Earth we're born, and to Her we return. My tears flowed like the sweat and blisters when I buried my little one. I felt more at peace when I didn't have to give my friend and my pain away to strangers to bury. I stayed with her and did my best for her till the bitter end.

Discuss this if you'd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7zkXjSQWk
"Don't argue with crazy people. You'll look like you're the one who's crazy." -Mom
Xena
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Grief Is Love And Love Is Good

Postby janjones » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:03 am

Serious warning to all animal/cat lovers who think about watching this vid. You will cry!! It was horribly, awfully, heart breakingly SAD. Be prepared for immediate crying, and not just a few tears. I had to stop 1/2 way through....
I am not on the forum much these days. Please contact another staff member. Thank you.
janjones
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:06 am

Postby Xena » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 am

My sincerest apologies, janjones. Maybe the people who say I have the emotional depth of a turnip are right. :oops:

Your warning should stand for the people who are dealing with a recent loss. This vid may be too much for them. The end of the vid is the saddest part. I'm glad you stopped watching halfway through.

I'll leave it up to the mods to decide whether I should give this post a new title and move it over to the ADHD forum. Thank you for your empathy, and your good advice.
"Don't argue with crazy people. You'll look like you're the one who's crazy." -Mom
Xena
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MikeAngel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:19 pm

This video made me sad
MikeAngel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Onebravegirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:39 pm

I think the video is sad as well.
Sorry that you lost a kitten Xena, I didn't know about that.
:( ne
Two men looked through bars. One saw Mud, the other saw Stars.
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Ekaetriana » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:22 am

Definitely made me start to cry. Animals do have feelings, not the same as ours exactly, but they do understand companionship and comfort. Dogs can even show regret/remorse...notice how when you say bad dog their ears go back and they look at you sadly, for forgiveness? This cat shows companionship, waiting for the friend to come back :(
ME
(tied up in the corner, not allowed to come out)

Myself
Sweetness-cuteness-shy-immature-reckless-fearful

I
The Leader - take control - stop the bad things - protect - speak for the others

Mirror - Our Friend Bunny

Ɯσя∂ƨ мɛαи ɛʌɛяʏтнιиɢ тσ мɛ
INTP - Introversion Intuition Thinking Perception
Ekaetriana
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:06 am

Postby griefandsympathy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi

I haven't watched the video, as I'm a born softie, and can't face it. However, I agree totally with your sentiment grief is love and love is good. But we mustn't wallow in self-pity. Remember the good memories and be thankful that you had a wonderful companion. Grief is the price we pay for love, but grief doesn't have to be all miserable.

You had warmth, companionship from an animal which never judged you. That is special. And grief for an animal is just as valid as that for a human.

Have a look at this Pet loss page written by my wonderful mother. I hope it will give some people comfort.

*removed by mod*
Last edited by janjones on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: self-promotional
griefandsympathy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:06 am

Postby HesDeltanCaptain » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Grief to me is fear and confusion over a sudden change in status for a relationship. The dead don't fear it. So worrying about someone or something dead is misplaced, they're beyond caring. But because we like to ignore our own mortality so much, when death sudden comes into our lives it can be very shocking. Hence people who fall apart whereas others have made their peace with it.

We're all gonna die eventually. Either prepare yourself for it or ignore it and risk the fallout when it comes knocking. But if you take the 'death sucks' view, you need to remember that without death there'd be no life. Nothing G-d creates is supposed to last forever. And when even stars die, their deaths make new life possible by redistributing all that matter into the universe much the same as when a living being dies and they decompose, the atoms that made up their bodies become a part of other things. They don't just blip out of existence. They're still there, just in a different combination. But what made living beings living beings continues to exist. Call it the soul, or think of it as how memories and thoughts are just electrical impulses in our brains and so long as those thoughts and memories are in our conscious minds, everything about a departed person still exists just as it always did. Only difference at the quantum level is the combination that made their body possible is now in a different configuration.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I pretended to be." - Me.
HesDeltanCaptain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Xena » Wed May 01, 2013 5:00 am

:? This is getting weird. Read the original post before you start telling me stuff I already know, dude.

I had a passing moment 8 months ago where I felt an emotion that I don't feel the same way other people do. I didn't fall apart. I rather enjoyed the feeling bc it's so unusual for me to get all weepy and girlie like that. I like to take a break from the things I have to cuss and fight about once in awhile to remember the friends I've cared for. Love is wonderful, even when the friend we once shared it with is gone.

The moment's long since passed and I'm on to other things. All I can say about the matter now is: Do the humane thing and have your pets spayed or neutered so they're not breeding unwanted offspring who get dumped in the street to suffer and die like the kitty in the vid.
Xena
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby HesDeltanCaptain » Wed May 01, 2013 2:37 pm

If you don't think I read the OP why assume I was speaking to you? I wasn't.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I pretended to be." - Me.
HesDeltanCaptain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Next

Return to Pets