Our partner

My dog died and I feel it's my fault

A place to discuss the loss of a beloved pet.

My dog died and I feel it's my fault

Postby maggie6max » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Recently my dog MAx died. He was only 16months old. I cry about him all the time. I feel as if it was my fault. He was so sick I took him to vets and they didn't know what was wrong. I should have pushed more, I failed him. I have 6 dogs but he was my little man at only3 ponds. He payed with me when I was in pain. I suffer from chronic pain and depression. I love my other dogs but he was different he coul look into my soul. It was as if he always new how I felt he layedv with me all the time. I don't know why he hadf togoand I can't seem to movie on. I can't seem to think of all the happy times. Immso hurt by him being gone. I feel so lost and confused. I loose everything that I let into my life .i am so sad.
maggie6max
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: My dog died and I feel it's my fault

Postby TROJAN WARRIOR » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Did you see a vet? If you were seeing a vet, they should have been able to tell you what was wrong with Max. You say he was 3 pounds, what breed was he, even for the smallest breed, 3 pounds doesn't sound much. You must not blame yourself, it will only make you feel worse. We do our best for our pets, but we don't have all the answers. Did you buy Max from a reputable breeder? Some people make money out of us dog lovers and sell sick animals.
TROJAN WARRIOR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Postby maggie6max » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:09 am

It's such a long story. He was a Chihuahua I was working for a rescue at the time. We call them foster failures. He was healthy except for occasional skin issues. When he started to get sick he went to two different vets. Lots of test were done and meds. He was my world. The girl I worked for had become a good friend she was also a vet. The term valley fever came up a few times but the all said no it wasn'this symptoms ....I watched him widdle away to nothing and he had to be suffering. His last visit he was diagnosed with gr but it was way too late. I new the night before he wasn't going to make it and the next day I put him down. He had total organ failure. The vets felt aweful. They never tested him for vf.I should have made them even though they said no. Nonetheless the girl I worked for felt it was her fault and doesn't talk to me. I lost a soul mate and a friend. Sorry for the long story. He went everywhere with me and always gave me this look even when he was dying. I hate myself for loosing him.
maggie6max
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TROJAN WARRIOR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:44 am

I've not heard of Valley Fever. Is it something dogs get where you live? Anyway, if they had a hunch it was Valley Fever, they should have tested for it. The trouble with Chahauhaus, is they are so small and don't have a lot of fat on them, so if they get sick, they will probably get worse quick. Please don't blame yourself. We put all our trust in vets, and with all the training they have, we expect them to know how to treat everything, but sometimes, they get things wrong. Your dog probably had a rough start in life, and his immune system was probably weak.
TROJAN WARRIOR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby maggie6max » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks
Trojan I do appreciate all your kind words. Valley fever can be treatable if found early.I have a90 mastif that suffers from it was found ea rly. It does slow him down.....:( I guess it all happened so fast and I heard vf come up but didn't question the vets. I miss him so much
maggie6max
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Greatexpectations » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Its not your fault you did your best. I have three dogs they are my best friends. He knew he was loved.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao Tzu
Greatexpectations
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby maggie6max » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 am

I really hope he knows how much I loved him and how hard I tried. My guilt runs so deep
maggie6max
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TROJAN WARRIOR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 am

Maggie6max, your dog knew you loved him. Dogs give love unconditionally and they take love without setting out a list of conditions. As long as dogs get their basic needs met, they are happy. They need food, water, shelter and love and respect, and toys to keep them from getting bored. As long as they have got all those, they are happy. :)
TROJAN WARRIOR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Pets

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post