Our partner

how long do u greive for pets?

A place to discuss the loss of a beloved pet.

Re: how long do u greive for pets?

Postby beavislynch » Mon May 12, 2014 1:26 pm

I can empathise very strongly.

I lost my best friend September 3 last year. Spent 10 years with him, he slept beside me every night. I often find myself rolling over at 4am and starting to cry when I realise he's gone. And I'm the same in terms of getting another dog. I've been searching the RSPCA adoption page every week but it always brings me to tears, all I can see is his face and remember his smell. I loved him more than anyone has ever loved me, I think. I doubt I will ever stop grieving him. He was my best friend, my brother, my ally, my confidante and my whole world. I would die a thousand times if I could just have 5 more minutes with him.
beavislynch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby mystic803 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 pm

I put my dog down a month ago and I still am devastated.
mystic803
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Postby EarlyMorning » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:50 pm

With my childhood pets I was sad when they died but ok reasonably quickly after. But My beautiful spaniel that was my "own" dog that I had as an adult (and the only one I had) died 5 years ago aged 7 from a heart attack as he'd had a poorly heart since a baby.

I was devastated as he was like a little human (he thought he was) and he was so quirky and different and so loyal but grumpy on occassion, so trusting and sincere. He was my little man and I have his ashes on my mantle along with a photo of him as a puppy when I first got him (he had been brought over from Ireland from a puppy farm, was in a terrible condition with fleas and mange and a heart murmur, and was kept in a small bird cage in a pet shop window. I just had to go in and buy him and take him away from all that).

I will never forget that journey home where he stuck his little head out of the open car window just to feel the breeze on his face for the first time and from that moment on never left my side apart from at night where he slept in his bed.

And I will never forget his funny little antics like standing on his hind legs with his back to me whilst I was sat watching tv and falling backwards out of the blue so trustingly just knowing I would catch him. It was a game he loved to play. And cooking his dinner of boiled chicken and carrots because he wouldn't eat normal dog food.

And I will never forget the look in his eyes the night before he died where he'd felt faint and I knew he didn't have much longer and he just cuddled me and licked my face.

And then the next morning I woke to go into the living room and instead of finding him in his bed as usual he was lying flat out on his belly, legs stretched behind him, almost at the door that leads through to my bedroom, dead. I cried so badly because I really believe he was trying to get to me and I didn't know. I often think I should have stayed with him that night. Because I kind of knew. But I didn't.

I took his body to the vets that day and they explained how he would be put in a zipped up plastic bag in the freezer until he was taken to the crematorium and all I could say was "Don't zip it up, he won't be able to breath." How silly.

I miss my little man so much. I will never get another dog. I couldn't go through that pain again.

I have a 2 year old cat now. It's much better, he comes and goes as he pleases and rarely wants a cuddle. It's better all round.
Life is full of small disappointments - Henrik Hanssen
EarlyMorning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 am

Postby Mike78tan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:36 pm

As long as it hurts. For each person that is a different amount of time. Some people need a month and some even years.
"One love, one heart, one destiny."
Mike78tan
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 am

Postby maree12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:39 am

Not that I want to worry you, but I lost my soul-dog, a toy poodle, now 13 years ago, and I still cry when I think of her. But that is beside the point, after I lost my girl I joined a real time Pet Loss Group. One of the women there was mourning her cat. She said that she had got another kitten. But she said it was more of a distraction than anything else, she still missed her first cat. Because I am alone in the house all day, I knew that I would have to get another companion dog, or I would go insane with the loneliness, and I "rescued" a pretty little dog from the RSPCA. She is a perfect little dog, clever, obedient and gets on well with all visitors to the house, and all the neighbours. I know that I do not love her, as my heart went with my poodle, but she has made my life more bearable, as a distraction. And I know that I have given her a home where she is cared for, regardless that I do not love her, I do take care of her as I did my old girl. She has eased the pain of losing my old girl, and certainly made my life better -- it is quite likely I would not get out of the house and get a little exercise, or sit outside in the sun, if it was not for her. If you have given your heart to a dog once, you will find the house very empty without having one in residence. If you rescue a dog, you are NOT replacing your old one, but you are giving another one a chance of a good life. And you are honouring your previous dog too, by virtue of the fact that he was so wonderful that you can no longer live without a canine friend
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:28 pm

Postby maree12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:54 am

To early morning
What a wonderful mother you must have been to your spaniel. By the fact that you remember so much about him, it means that you were constantly observing him and helping him when he needed. You were not the only lucky one in that relationship
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby JonTalbain » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:29 am

I know how it feels. I lost my little dog last summer and it was sad. She was old, really old.
We buried her in a beautiful wooded area, near a creek.
I still miss her. She had a sense for people with MI and other health problems.
A few years before I got her I had another dog that I had to give up for personal reasons and I still deal with a lot of guilt and shame over that.
I wish I had both of them right now as babies so I could raise them all over again. :cry:
JonTalbain
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Postby maree12 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:41 am

Hi Onebravegirl,
I am not criticising you, but my mother often used to quote the saying you have at the bottom of your post. In reality, it is "Two men looked forth from prison bars, one saw mud, the other, stars"
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby maree12 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:11 am

Ycinta, I too lost my soul dog, now it is 14 years ago, but I often cry for her loss. She was with me through all the good times, and was likely responsible for many of them. And I let her down through the last 4 years of her life, after everything she had done for me, and that is something I cannot forgive myself for. I am glad that my mother died a year after my little girl, because Mum will have crossed the Bridge before me, and will have taken my little girl with her, instead of her being forced to wait for me, when I do not deserve her.
I did adopt another dog - from the RSPCA and hope that I can look after her for all her life as I should have looked after my first little girl. Only then can I feel that someone will be waiting at The Bridge for me
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby maree12 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:31 am

mystic803
I am so sorry that you had to have your beloved dog pts, it is a hard decision to make. Just remember dogs do not fear the anticipation of death as we humans do, and, if they are very unwell, they await it. An RSPCA nurse once told me that if a dog wants to die it will spend all its' time sleeping, which my little girl did, and if she had known the last time that she closed her eyes that she would not have to wake up to the misery that had become her life, I know she would have been grateful. You have done the kindest thing you could have done, and taken on all the pain fear and misery that your friend was suffering so he could run free at The Bridge like he did when you first got him.
My condolences for your loss, and it is indeed a major loss
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Previous

Return to Pets