Our partner

i don't know

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

i don't know

Postby wcs212 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi. I'm posting because I think I have GAD, and if I do, I don't know what to do about it. I never really thought about the possibility of an anxiety disorder causing all of the symptoms that I have. But a teacher of mine (I'm 14) who thinks I worry WAY too much about school was talking to me about dreams because she had had a weird one. When I said that I never sleep well and always have bad dreams, she jokingly said that I must have an anxiety disorder. Later that day, though, I looked up GAD.

I really do have lots of the symptoms. I worry constantly about things in school, like missed homework, or big tests, or what teachers think of me. I also get horribly nervous about other things that I know I shouldn't be worried about. I recently had a formal dance that I was excited about going to, but I was also worried about it without knowing what it was exactly that I was worrying about. When I worry, I make my stomach hurt and get headaches. Even when I'm not worried, I have been getting a headache at least once a day for the past few months. My muscles get tense a lot. My hands shake sometimes and are usually very cold. Almost every night it takes me at least an hour to fall asleep, and I frequently wake up from the nightmares that I have.

I don't know, though. Maybe I'm just imagining it. But if I do have it, I don't know what to do. I can't just say, "Mom, I think I have a generalized anxiety disorder. Can we go to the doctor?" She'd probably think that I was just worried because I felt sick for a while. It would sound stupid. I just don't know what to do.
wcs212

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Adna » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:55 pm

It's not stupid and I would definitely get help. I spent YEARS thinking I was just different from everyone else for experiencing the feelings I was having and that was just the way I was. YEAR and YEARS later, even after therapy and medication I am only fully beginning to understand what has been wrong with me all these years. The sooner you face it the better. There is nothing more helpful than understanding (and accepting) yourself. I wish I had realized that I was not alone in experiencing my symptoms for all those years and it was a very lonely life trying to live and cope with this "ailment" that plagued me and I was sure I was the only one in the world like that. If you have GAD, it's great that you are finding that out now, but you might want to do other research, because a lot of disorders have similar symptoms - it could be something else or you may very well experience symptoms of other disorders along with GAD. I don't know what kinds of meds they use to treat this, but keep in mind there may be other underlying emotional/psychological reasons for the way you feel, so therapy can help you understand what you are feeling and why. I commend you for recognizing your "problem" and facing it now, because it could save you years of anguish otherwise.
Adna
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby jonb » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:04 am

You should go and see your doctor. Even if u have to make the doctors appointment yourself and just go. I remember i started having anxiety problems around your age and my mum told me to stop being stupid there was nothing wrong with me. Which is true yes nothing physically but its better to accept (if its the case) that you have anxiety and get something done about it. The worst thing my mum could do was to tell me to stop being an idiot.
Good luck in your recovery!
x
jonb

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum