Our partner

Internet anxiety

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Internet anxiety

Postby sagedavis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:44 am

Have anyone heard or read about internet anxiety?....... :?
*Edited by admin - Chucky*
sagedavis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 8:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Internet anxiety

Postby Chucky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:28 pm

I have heard of Internet addicton, buit not Internet anxiety. What brings you here to post about it? Are you feeling okay my friend?

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sagedavis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:32 am

Hi Kavin,
I am absolutely fine. I have heard about internet addiction.Recently i read one article about Internet anxiety where person's behaviour about internet was described.Some people get tremendous nervous or anxious when they find their favorite websites are not working properly.Some are chat addicted.They feel uneasyness when chat is not there.Even they can't concentrate on their work too.I was talking about such kind of anxiety for virtual things.
sagedavis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Cool; thank you for explaining. You know, whenever this website is 'down' or is slow, I am upset. The same is true for when other websites I normally use have problems. You've just given me some insight into my own mind and habits. What about you? - What sites do you have Internet anxiety with?
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sagedavis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 am

Well,I am not addicted to any specific site.There are number of websites which I like.When net is down it upsets me...but not so much.I move to book reading or long drive...... :wink:
sagedavis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby FrayedEndOfSanity » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 am

I think that there is such a thing as Internet anxiety...like you guys have already said, it can come because a favorite site is unavailable or slow.

And there's also technophobia. Which is literally a fear of technology.

I think people can also get anxious about being on the Internet because how anonymous it is and how huge of a place it can seem. Really, it's just a small world. The same people are on the Internet as in real life. I think it's a discomfort because you never really know who you're talking to.

So there's 3 types of Internet anxiety.

Hope that clarifies things. :)

--Frayed
Do not take my advice before talking to your doctor/counselor/other professional. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find free, confidential care. Most importantly, sometimes your shrink can be wrong. Get a second opinion.
FrayedEndOfSanity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 am

Postby Hero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:35 am

I think internet anxiety is more common than one would think. I experience what is described here but i always chalked it up to well ... having a small internet addiction. So when I couldnt fill certain cravings lol ... anxiety. Many thoughts when a website is not working come to mind that would give u anxiety.

"This was my favorite website, what will i do now."
"I dont know any other way to contact the people i talk to on this website"
"My internet, i hope its not down i have lots of things to do."
"Maybe they banned me for something and dont want me to visit the site anymore."

The list goes on i guess. You must also remember the internet is a very social place. If u have social anxiety like myself , its very easy to get anxious over things on the internet. I mean ppl get phone anxiety right? why not internet?
Hero
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 am

Postby Chucky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Interesting ideas... ...I see there as being yet another type on Internet anxiety though: If you go to a website and it's completely cluttered, it can make you feel anxious such that you just close the browser. If you don't know what exactly I mean, then go to http://www.nfl.com/ and you'll see what I mean. It's just so cluttered - I struggle to work my way around that site without getting anxious.

Unfortunately for me, most university websites are like that too.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby manic666 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:33 pm

its anxierty an addiction// like theropy you go get addicted //its a fix an you hooked// people go long after they should just to pay to chat//the sites are free an you chat the same//the sites fall into lots of catagories// you go for info because your ill//you go to make freinds because your lonely// you carnt leave the house///chucky you are 20 something what makes you want to be a mod on a mental health site,when at your age most are drinking ,fighting, ######6 ,an driveing subaru impretzas i no i was//this is not a dig at your life //im am just a little curious thats all //no offence
manic666
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby chorse » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:44 pm

I have internet anxiety. Sometimes if I can't get to a site i like, but that's more like a frustration.

The anxiety I have has more to do with me associating my PC with paying bills and/or having financial problems...or possibly recieving a bad email from someone. Sometimes just glancing at my PC will give me an anxiety attack.

I also have this with the telephone. Whenever it rings, I automatically get a feeling of dread, like someone might be calling me from a collection agency, even if all my bills are paid....or calling me with bad news.

-chorse
Sun, sun, sun - high's in the 80's all week.
chorse
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 1:44 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post