Our partner

Panic Attacks While Meditating

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Panic Attacks While Meditating

Postby DoDecaDon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Hello all,
I tried meditating again last night, it is something I have been trying to make a routine of.
Every time I do it I end up with worse depression and panic attacks. I also end up not sleeping. Why might this be? It does not relax me, I end up in a hyper-vigilant state when I do it. It was something I was hoping I could do before bed to help me sleep.
DoDecaDon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:56 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Panic Attacks While Meditating

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 am

It would be helpful if you could give some information as to what you are doing as a meditation practice
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:56 am

Postby Wally58 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:55 am

My panic attacks would come on, signaled by a change in breathing. You must learn to breathe deep and slow.

I always keep attuned to my own breathing so I can stop an attack from escalating. Train yourself to be aware of your breathing.

Tense, then relax your muscles. Empty your mind. Focus on what is in front of you.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Postby DoDecaDon » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:02 pm

Wally58 wrote:My panic attacks would come on, signaled by a change in breathing. You must learn to breathe deep and slow.

I always keep attuned to my own breathing so I can stop an attack from escalating. Train yourself to be aware of your breathing.

Tense, then relax your muscles. Empty your mind. Focus on what is in front of you.

Thank you Wally, I'll keep practising.
A.D.D, Anxiety, Depression
DoDecaDon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Postby philipparanoia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:09 am

Are u still getting panic attacks while meditating?
philipparanoia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:56 am

Postby weepingwillow » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:19 am

I've recently started getting anxiety attacks/panic attacks. I'm on meds to help control them but I'm just so anxious all the time!

Willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:56 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Snaga » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:19 am

weepingwillow wrote:I've recently started getting anxiety attacks/panic attacks. I'm on meds to help control them but I'm just so anxious all the time!

Willow

Ever had them in the past?

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Postby weepingwillow » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:23 am

Snaga wrote:
weepingwillow wrote:I've recently started getting anxiety attacks/panic attacks. I'm on meds to help control them but I'm just so anxious all the time!

Willow

Ever had them in the past?

Not half as bad as this, just my fam getting together can trigger it. Or absolutely nothing tbh.

Willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow

Postby Snaga » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:33 am

I used to get them in crowds- panic attacks sure can be a bitch, that's for sure. But I'd also get them in places I ought not have, such as church. Sometimes it would be so bad I'd have to go outside.

It wasn't until I dug my heels in, and decided that the more I got them in certain venues, such as the mall, or church- the more I was going to not back down when they hit. I decided it was a mind game and so I eventually out-stubborned them. But it took a while.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Postby weepingwillow » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 am

Snaga wrote:I used to get them in crowds- panic attacks sure can be a bitch, that's for sure. But I'd also get them in places I ought not have, such as church. Sometimes it would be so bad I'd have to go outside.

It wasn't until I dug my heels in, and decided that the more I got them in certain venues, such as the mall, or church- the more I was going to not back down when they hit. I decided it was a mind game and so I eventually out-stubborned them. But it took a while.

Sounds like a plan I think I will try that, thank you

Willow
weepingwillow

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post