Our partner

Problems in speaking to people

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Problems in speaking to people

Postby Jemma » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello,
I wouldn't say that I have social anxiety but I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks from time to time . I get really anxious before family gatherings or any outing or gathering where I'm not familiar with most of the people. Which I guess is normal . But the problem is that there's a speech barrier that I face while talking to people I don't talk to on a regular basis and new people in general. I fumble alot and its like I just forget English or any other language that I'm speaking at that time . I wouldn't say I'm the fluent in all the languages i speak. But I'm a decent speaker . I just talk really really poorly while talking to new people or acquaintances. Which is something i need to tackle because it comes in thw way of my career . As someone who is studying marketing making calls to unknown people is going to be life . While I was interning at a firm in the marketing department I had to make a lot of calls and I tried everything possible way to avoid it . I mailed and texted and kept delaying . And a simple call took a lot of practice and breathing for me to do . Campus placements start soon and I'm afraid I'm going to mess my interviews and Group discussions because of this.
Could someone please tell me how to overcome it or if you experience the same how do you tackle these problems .
Thanks for listening. .
Jemma
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Problems in speaking to people

Postby Wally58 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 pm

I took a Speech Writing elective in English class. It helped me think about what I was going to say, prepare what I was going to say and then say it in front of people at a podium in front of the class.
I'm generally an introvert, quiet and shy. This would have been terrifying for me before this and my mind would have gone blank. I was also treated for panic attacks/anxiety and depression in the past. The same medications normalized both. I also had to dispel the 'shame' that kept me from who I really wanted to be and kept me drunk for many years.
It is about gaining self-esteem and confidence. It is about organizing in your mind what you want for an end-result and then how to get there.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:00 am

Postby Forum333 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:41 pm

I have a fear of speaking to people at work. I am afraid I am going to miss a promotion, new job, or being comfortable at my own desk. I started taking anxiety medicine to keep calm at work. It really helps a lot. I have to usually write a script before I call someone for customer services. I never remember what I am suppose to say because of my anxiety. It does suck, buy I think that you can get through it. Just continue to watch videos and practice in front of the camera. I even went out and bought a headset and pretended I was at a job. Do not get emotionally attached. They are only customers or employees that you are trying to talk with. Try putting yourself in their shoes. They only want to know your professional side. Good Luck...!
Forum333
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 am

Postby Jemma » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:38 am

I write a script for calls too. It does help. Thanks.
Jemma
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post