Our partner

Desensitise yourself [Good information]

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Re: Desensitise yourself [Good information]

Postby Misunderstoodlight » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:26 pm

What about irrational fears? How do I manage a fear that is all in my head?
Misunderstoodlight
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 5:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby josh0745 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:02 am

Misunderstoodlight wrote:What about irrational fears? How do I manage a fear that is all in my head?

They’re podcasts on anxiety that walk you through irrational fears and some strategies to work through them. I had these a lot when my anxiety came back in adulthood. Using tools like self reassurance of them just being ‘irrational thoughts’ for a lot of time and supplements, CBT with a therapist, etc. I don’t get these thoughts much anymore and when I do I don’t give them much mind.

Josh
josh0745
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 5:26 am

Postby chipsplaypen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Do you think desensitization could work with stopping a fear of the dark? So far I haven't found something mild enough to start with that I'm able to go through with it. Even a nightlight isn't enough for me, I sleep with at least a lamp on. And forget about using the bathroom at night! It really sucks because I'm otherwise very strong and want to be completely fearless, but I have no idea where to start. The panic overwhelms me when I turn the light off.
chipsplaypen
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 4:26 am

Postby BethleftRich » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Hello. My counselor gave me a good book to read, and my favorite part was learning, not to take anything personally. I have been practicing, and now I do not react like I used to. For example, my husband told me I had become ugly to him, and I reacted with anger. But after reading The Four Agreements, I realized that the reason my husband said I had become ugly, was because he was projecting his own ugly guilt and feelings on me. So learning not to take things personal, anyone can avoid feeling bad over what someone said. That is one way to desensitize yourself. It's working for me, and counseling helps too. Have a nice day. Beth
BethleftRich
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 am

Postby SocialAnxietyAndMe » Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
SocialAnxietyAndMe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 10:26 am