Our partner

Always thinking of my heart

Generalized Anxiety Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Always thinking of my heart

Postby star68 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 pm

I suffer from generalized anxiety and suffered panic attacks in the past. I control my panic attacks at the moment but I am always on edge when I get a palpitation my mind automatically tells me "This is it, the end" Every little symptom will suggest a heart attack it's just going to happen. If I hear an ambulance I get worried about the person inside and triggers fears about myself having a heart attack.
Why anxious people have a tendency to fear heart problems. What made us like that? When I look around me all I see is happy people with no a worry having fun and there is me thinking "How about if I drop dead? " I don't envy people for their possessions and money I envy them for their freedom and happiness that I don't know if I will be able to achieve as my fearful thinking is becoming a real burden.
I would love to hear your opinions.
star68
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Always thinking of my heart

Postby OverwhelmedFear » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:56 pm

I also have a generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks and a fear of heart problems, heart attack, disturbed blood flow because it could cause a heart attack.

My father died because of a heart attack. This was when my problems started. I thought that I fear a heart attack because it was a shock for me.

Do most of people with GAD fear heart attack?

Do you have someone in your family who is in need of medical care or had a heart attack?

Perhaps the panic attacks makes us interprete that it is a symptom and we will have a heart attack.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
OverwhelmedFear
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Always thinking of my heart

Postby icca18 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 am

I'm having the same issues lately. I've been constantly checking my pulse, thinking my heart is beating too slow. I don't really have the though of a heart attack, though I fear cardiac arrest or just sudden death.
My fear was brought on after the death of my grandfather. I held his hand as he died and watched as his breathing got slower and slower until it just stopped.
My doctor has told me that my blood pressure, heart rate, and lungs are perfect but it's like I can't believe them, and I still feel like I'm just going to stop breathing.
I struggle with this every day and I know that at some point I do need to stop fearing this.
I know exactly what you mean about getting anxious after hearing an ambulance. Hate that feeling.
"Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door. Quothe the raven, 'Nevermore'"
icca18
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post