Our partner

How do YOU define the terms "man" and "woman"?

Gender Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

How do YOU define the terms "man" and "woman"?

Postby ZeeIck » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:25 pm

The only specific criteria I have ever heard in answer to this is from from people who only think of gender in terms of biology (ie. A man is someone born with XY chromosomes)

What I am more interested in, is what attributes besides biological gender do people out there use to determine gender identity?

Feminine/masculine behavior?
Fashion preferences?
Hobbies?
Favorite color?
Philosophical ideals?

Ie.
Is a woman...

A person who likes barbies?
A person who wears dresses?
A person who acts in a feminine manner?
A person who just likes the socailly accepted norms associated with being a woman?
A person who wants to be treated a certain way that they have determined how women should be treated?

I don't get it.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as cynical or condescending, I am genuinely interested/confused about this.
ZeeIck
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do YOU define the terms "man" and "woman"?

Postby Snaga » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:43 am

It's pretty dicey, isn't it? On the one hand, you have people who rigidly define gender as being synonymous with the sex one's assigned at birth. No ifs, ands, or buts, and no allowing that someone might be utterly miserable having to be associated with a gender they loathe being, and are willing to go under the knife, to change.

On the other, you have people coming up with new 'genders' faster than a dog gets new fleas- to the point where you have that famous Youtube where a European politician (German?) makes a point of addressing several dozen genders, to demonstrate how out-of-hand it's gotten in the name of not offending....

Reality usually assigns itself somewhere in between.

I tend to compartmentalise. There's biological sex. There's one's own sense of gender. There's public presentation. One is a matter for doctors. The next is a matter for one's sense of self. The third is something that tends to involve documentation, the legal system, personal appearance, etc etc etc. And all three can be different.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Postby ZeeIck » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:48 am

Right on :-)

Context is the key right!?!

It seems very apparent that most of the conflict arising out of this subject is the result of defining the term gender out of context.

When one person is using it to mean one thing, and the other is talking about a completely different situation.

A great many people are being labeled as bigots and transphobic simply because they are trying to point out that one definition of gender being applied to one context, can not tlbe applied all situations universally without causing all sorts of seperate problems.

Freakin' context matters!

Thank you very much for your response :-)
ZeeIck
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Postby RottenFish » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Man - has a penis.
Woman - has a vagina.

Other than that, sexuality and gender are fluid since some men collect Barbies and some women collect guns.

I'm happy to live at a time where gender sterotypes are quickly fading. :mrgreen:
RottenFish
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:06 am

Postby Justddrown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 am

If we’re putting emphasis on “you” then I would just say physiological differences in the brain. Women sit differently and stuff and communicate in a differently than men. Obviously you don’t have to sit a certain way to feel a certain way but I think wherever an individual on the spectrum or black and white (male or female) that it’s fine to identify with either but I would strongly suggest seeing a therapist for an extended period of time.

-- Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 pm --

If we’re putting emphasis on “you” then I would just say physiological differences in the brain. Women sit differently and stuff and communicate in a differently than men. Obviously you don’t have to sit a certain way to feel a certain way but I think wherever an individual on the spectrum or black and white (male or female) that it’s fine to identify with either but I would strongly suggest seeing a therapist for an extended period of time.
Justddrown
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Justddrown » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:34 am

Honestly that’s a strange answer other than pointing out physiological tendencies which is one thing I guess but quite honestly I don’t even understand humans. I never understood why someone would wear a suit or why they’re standard. Anyways, don’t get people. Guys are simple but I don’t understand why we’re supposed to be soo simple. Women might as well live on another planet than me. I identify as a male btw I just like poking through here.
Justddrown
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Gender Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post