Our partner

why cant i stop??

Gambling Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby Jerry33 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 pm

I have definitely done plenty of depleting. I can't believe how long I allowed this to happen. I have now been done for 4 days which may not seem like much but it is a start. I am looking forward to keeping this door closed for good.
Jerry33
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:50 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby johnsmith46 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 pm

The first day for me was easily the worst.

I cannot do this alone anymore.

Im 43 days trying to stay off alone after 7 years betting and becoming addicted for 3.

I tried stopping several times but to no avail.

I then tried stopping for one day. Then 2 then 3, I relapsed 3 times.

My relapses all won but to me that doesnt matter.

I tried to stop again on October 12th.

One day 2 days 72 hours now 952 hours. by Saturday ill be 1,000 hours gamble free. I aim to make it 10,000 cause I lost that much.
johnsmith46
Consumer 3
Consumer 3
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:55 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby Prairie gal » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Come on John Smith and others. You can do it! We're pulling for you. Maybe you need to go to GA for support?
Put up barriers to stop yourself and get help and support. Don't go it on your own. Many on this site have stopped; you can too!
Prairie gal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby willingtoquit » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:52 pm

hi guys, im glen, ive been gambling for 27 years.

i hate to admit how much ive lost over the years but im guessing its close to £150k, a figure im disgusted at, and in those 27 years its only the last 2-3 years ive felt i had a problem. ive been bankrupt, divorced and lost my house through having to sell it.

im 47 now and getting into debt again, i can manage it but 23 days ago i decided at last enough is enough, its going to be hard but im not waking up now thinking of gambling, i take it day by day, im trying to do this on my own, no one knows the real truth, i lie a lot to hide it, but there comes a time when i want my life back, its now.ive a great job and im determined to quit forever.

in 23 days ive been stress free, i can pay my debts off in 2 years while still being ok for money

its up to me, im in the last chance saloon
total of my debt £10,900 as of 27/12 better than i thought
willingtoquit
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby Stopgambling2015dec » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Congratulations to all those who realized to quit for good. no matter what problem we are now coz of gambling going back to gambling is not the answer , yes it will run to your mind to go back and recover your losses but that is a deception a trap, say a big no to that no matter how many times just always say no! The victory will be yours.. Stay gambling free and let us be the best person we can be..
Stopgambling2015dec
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:45 am
Local time: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby buster1969 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:28 am

willingtoquit wrote:hi guys, im glen, ive been gambling for 27 years.

i hate to admit how much ive lost over the years but im guessing its close to £150k, a figure im disgusted at, and in those 27 years its only the last 2-3 years ive felt i had a problem. ive been bankrupt, divorced and lost my house through having to sell it.

im 47 now and getting into debt again, i can manage it but 23 days ago i decided at last enough is enough, its going to be hard but im not waking up now thinking of gambling, i take it day by day, im trying to do this on my own, no one knows the real truth, i lie a lot to hide it, but there comes a time when i want my life back, its now.ive a great job and im determined to quit forever.

in 23 days ive been stress free, i can pay my debts off in 2 years while still being ok for money

its up to me, im in the last chance saloon


It's up to you to be smart and do what needs to be done and get the help that is available. It's great that you're 23 days in but I promise you that willpower alone is not enough. I've seen people on here fail and I've seen people I know in real life fail because they don't do the right things.

In my opinion here are a few things that will help:
- Tell some people about your problem. Part of the reason you're keeping it a secret is because you want the safety valve to going back to betting. If you tell somebody then it isn't just you you'll be letting down.
- Find a GA meeting near you and start attending. This piggybacks my first point. You won't be judged and you'll see that you're not alone and the people who are there will support you.
- Self-exclude or give up access to your money. Again, if you are able to go back whenever you want to you're just playing with fire. Make a real stand and give yourself a chance my friend!
buster1969
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:25 am
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby willingtoquit » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:21 am

buster1969 wrote:
willingtoquit wrote:hi guys, im glen, ive been gambling for 27 years.

i hate to admit how much ive lost over the years but im guessing its close to £150k, a figure im disgusted at, and in those 27 years its only the last 2-3 years ive felt i had a problem. ive been bankrupt, divorced and lost my house through having to sell it.

im 47 now and getting into debt again, i can manage it but 23 days ago i decided at last enough is enough, its going to be hard but im not waking up now thinking of gambling, i take it day by day, im trying to do this on my own, no one knows the real truth, i lie a lot to hide it, but there comes a time when i want my life back, its now.ive a great job and im determined to quit forever.

in 23 days ive been stress free, i can pay my debts off in 2 years while still being ok for money

its up to me, im in the last chance saloon


It's up to you to be smart and do what needs to be done and get the help that is available. It's great that you're 23 days in but I promise you that willpower alone is not enough. I've seen people on here fail and I've seen people I know in real life fail because they don't do the right things.

In my opinion here are a few things that will help:
- Tell some people about your problem. Part of the reason you're keeping it a secret is because you want the safety valve to going back to betting. If you tell somebody then it isn't just you you'll be letting down.
- Find a GA meeting near you and start attending. This piggybacks my first point. You won't be judged and you'll see that you're not alone and the people who are there will support you.
- Self-exclude or give up access to your money. Again, if you are able to go back whenever you want to you're just playing with fire. Make a real stand and give yourself a chance my friend!



i actually agree, its going to be hard, i want to get to 100 days and prove to myself i can do this, then go to phase 2 and tell a friend, phase 3 will be GA, i have to do this, ive no other choice
total of my debt £10,900 as of 27/12 better than i thought
willingtoquit
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby blue_green_lake » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:17 pm

willingtoquit wrote:i actually agree, its going to be hard, i want to get to 100 days and prove to myself i can do this, then go to phase 2 and tell a friend, phase 3 will be GA,


??????

You want to wait until you have 100 days free of gambling before you go to GA? or tell a friend? It helps to get the supports in place as soon as possible.

In G.A. we don't say we will go 100 days without gambling. We say that we will not gamble in the the upcoming 24 hours. I will get to tonight at midnight without gambling.

Looking too far into the future is a recipe for slips. I personally cannot say I won't gamble for x amount of days. I don't look that far ahead. Today, this Sunday, I will not gamble and I will find other things to do.
blue_green_lake
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1237
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:44 am
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:46 pm

I agree with Blue_green_lake .

Your chance of making that 100 days will increase greatly if you reverse the order of your plan .

1) Go to GA
2) Tell a friend

You do not need to prove anything to yourself . You have a disease that is wrecking your life - not seeking out help and support is only going to make it harder for you . Gambling addiction is a vampire - dragging it out into the light will help you kill it . If you leave it in the dark , it has the home advantage , it has much more strength to fight back .

I kept my gambling secret for 7 years because that's what my addiction wanted - no accountability , no one to know how out of control I was . Whenever I tried to quit and failed , I could pass it off as no big deal . If nobody knew I had a gambling problem , I was free to relapse countless times without the consequences of public failure .

In typical twisted addiction-logic , as long as I could continue to present the appearance of not having a gambling problem , everything was actually all right . Keeping itself hidden was my addiction's survival mechanism and it worked for years .

My urges always whispered the same words : " Go ahead and gamble - nobody will know ."

As soon a I told a friend about my addiction , I felt a huge weight off of my back . Having a support network meant that I wasn't fighting this thing alone . It made all the difference to my success .
User avatar
NewSunRising
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why cant i stop??

Postby willingtoquit » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:16 pm

ok i took that on board and told friend today.

the next hurdle is a GA meeting, its so far away from me but im gonna try and make the effort

ive cleared my first month bet free, long long way to go but im determined and i know its gonna be very hard, im committed in my mind
total of my debt £10,900 as of 27/12 better than i thought
willingtoquit
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

PreviousNext

Return to Gambling Addiction Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 58gambling, Aries411 and 17 guests