Our partner

Here we go!!

Gambling Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Here we go!!

Postby DoneForGood » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Hello All-

I am 37 years old and have been gambling heavy since I was 18.

Today is a special day. I have made the decision that I am going to quit gambling. While I have "half" tried in the past, I feel like I am truly ready this time.

Simply put, I have had enough! I think the eye opener for me was truly evaluating my financial situation. I have always made a great living. While I don't know the exact statistics, I would say that I make more income than 90% of the people in the U.S., and I know that I make much more than any of my close friends. The small amount that I have to show for it is absolutely disgusting.....literally makes me physically sick. There is no reason that I shouldn't be a millionaire several times over....but my gambling has derailed my life. I am not saying this to brag....I do not think I'm better than anyone else.....I am just explaining what got me to this point.

I have accepted that I truly have a disease......something I have just recently admitted for the first time. None of my friends, family, coworkers, or others know my situation (as luckily, I have always made enough money to hide it relatively well).

I know the road ahead is long and hard....but I'm ready. Wish me luck!
DoneForGood
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Here we go!!

Postby NewSunRising » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am

Welcome DoneForGood !

Congratulations on taking back your life ! I was in very much the same situation . In the beginning , I justified my gambling by telling myself I could afford what I was losing . It wasn't until much later that I began to lose money I couldn't afford to and that still didn't stop me because by then I didn't care . I just existed to gamble . I ended up massively in debt after the addiction spiraled out of control .

The hardest thing I've ever had to do was stop gambling but it was the only way to save myself . I do wish you luck but I think you know luck has nothing to do with it . :)

Keep us updated , we're rooting for you !
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:58 am

Postby Aries411 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Welcome to the Forum,

Sometimes we justify our gambling by saying that 'we can afford it'. However, we all learn that no matter how much you make, we can never afford it. If I was making X amount, I would end up gambling X + 20%. The problem we have is with our control with gambling that makes us addicts. We will keep on chasing until it leads us to ruin.

I am happy that you have decided to break this habit. We are all in this together!
Aries411
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:58 am

Postby 58gambling » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:54 pm

I learned that if you're a gambler, it doesn't matter how much you make or have. History has shown many multi-millionaires who ruined themselves because of this sickness.
I can tell you are enthusiastic about really quitting; that's good but this will be a lifelong battle;
the enemy is ever present, powerful, and relentless. I used to be so resolute too, just after losing another obscene amount of money. However, days go by, and that feeling starts to fade and the other feeling that caused me to go back would appear in its place. Be ready for that.

Our strongest weapons are determination, perseverance, sustained awareness, and not least of all, allies. We need to make ourselves accountable to somebody because part of the enemy's strength is the secrecy that no one can know if you gamble.
It's a long road and I hope you succeed.
58gambling
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:58 am

Return to Gambling Addiction Forum