Our partner

Post Number Of Days Gamble Free

Gambling Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Post Number Of Days Gamble Free

Postby yahoocoau » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:20 pm

thanks Aried and Sun,
I felt like betting as well at times, but I controlled myself.
Its funny that after all this time we can still go back to it.
I feel stronger when I post here. So I will carry on posting :)
yahoocoau
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Aries411 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:58 pm

yahoocoau wrote:Its funny that after all this time we can still go back to it.

At the start of my recovery, I thought that if I overcame this addiction, I would rid myself of the desire forever. However, I learned that this a life long illness and have seen people with 20+ of abstinence go back to gambling. We can't control these irrational thoughts that enter our mind, but hopefully we have put up enough barriers to properly control our actions.

Lets keep on going strong and make the rest of this year gamble free!
Aries411
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:14 am

Well said .

I also thought if I stopped gambling I'd be " normal " again . What I didn't realize at the time is that isn't possible . My brain and the way it functions has been physically and permanently altered by the addiction , not unlike the way a weld in a metal beam will always be the weakest part of that structure .

I've passed through my period of struggle , helped immensely by reading these posts . I think it's time for a little self reflection so I can try and understand what brought this on .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Postby RicardoG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:53 am

Hi all, it has been a roller coaster year for me, exactly a year already. I gamble via online. I made initially to pay off my credit card and some debt, and even made extra, which I kept in cash. But the addiction stayed on, and needless to say, you know the ending. I lost that physical cash + accumulated some credit card debt.

Back to square one.
My last bet was on Saturday.

So today is Day 2 of GF.
RicardoG
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:51 am

Postby Aries411 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:35 pm

Hey Ricardo,

I am happy that you posted once again. It can be difficult to tell others that you fell off the horse, but you know we all need to get back up.

I wouldn't say that you are back to square one. Perhaps, your GF days may have gone back, but the experience you gained by paying off your CC and debt is immense. Recovery is life-long and we need to just patch up some weak points in our recovery. Think about the 'lies' you told yourself that allowed you to gamble. Think about what you can do to improve your recovery for the next stretch.

Keep strong and we are all rooting for you!
Aries411

Postby RicardoG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:43 am

Hi Aries,

Thanks for posting a reply and also your word of encouragement. I still thinking of the money that I lost. I do have patience. But why is it that my mind still can't stay away from the thought of gambling and make some money. Maybe it is just recent. Or I just need to knock something harder into my head.

Day 3 GF
RicardoG
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:51 am

Postby Aries411 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Hey RicardoG,

Getting over the money we lost can be quite difficult. Some people can do it easier than other, but I needed counseling to get over it. As for the thoughts (lies) that enter our heads.. Well, I learned that we can't control our thoughts and we shouldn't feel bad because we have them. What we CAN control are our actions to those thoughts. Even after 4.5 years, I had fleeting thoughts of gambling a few weeks ago. It never really goes away due to the way our brain is now hardwired.
What helped me most with dealing with those thoughts was Mindfulness. I can usually catch my irrational thought as they come in and logically get over it.

Keep it up Ricardo and let those GF days rise!
Aries411

Previous

Return to Gambling Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post