Our partner

Post Number Of Days Gamble Free

Gambling Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Post Number Of Days Gamble Free

Postby paulbet » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Very wise words NewSun

Im into day 3 now.

Last night I tried registering for a site but they said I was blocked.

I need to find a way to keep away.

Maybe if I say im 72 hours off gambling it has more power than 3 days

I am doing a log of money reclaim where I gain back the 730euro my relapse has cost me through cut backs in spending

So far Ive got it down to 667euro.

Screw you bookies. Ye always win so dont fool me otherwise.
paulbet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby NewSunRising » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 am

I made a spreadsheet of every penny of my debt when I quit . I made myself look at it every day . It was painful , to say the least . It was really hard to let go of my losses at first . The " Get it back " compulsion / fantasy was very strong , it ruled my mind from sun up to sundown most days . Once I truly realized how much money I had thrown away , the desire and belief that I could get it back almost became an obsession in itself . That , of course , was the addiction talking . The best I could do in those days was to say " Later...after I pay off my debt , after I get the raise that's coming , after Christmas , after my birthday..." .

It helped a great deal that I was broke and had not a penny of credit left . I threw myself into paying off debts and with every gambling urge , I told myself " Later " . Within 3 months , the urges had lessened greatly and I was whittling down the debt by throwing at it everything but the very least amount of money I needed to survive . My goal with every paycheck was to " get rid of it " as soon as it hit my bank account . I did that for a year and a half . By the time my debt was repaid , I was secure in my recovery and focused on building up my savings . I had a rather anxious period between when I paid off the last debt and when I got my first free-and-clear paycheck .

My relationship with my money was very much warped by my years of addiction . It held so much power over me - having it , needing it , hoarding it . When I was gambling , it had zero value and when I lost it all , it was the only thing I could think about .

This too eventually normalized . It really is one day at a time . Sometimes it's one hour or one minute at a time . You'll get through this Paulbet . It's a tough journey and a long road but there are a great many things to discover about ourselves on it , not the least of which is our own strength .

Stay strong and make your battle plan . We're here if you need us .
NewSunRising
Moderator: Consumer

Postby happy_bean » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello everyone.
Made it to day 84 gamble free.
The urges to gamble are not as strong now and they pass quicker. But they are still there. Lurking.
My next goal is to make it to the hundred day mark and then, well who knows?

The sky is the limit.
happy_bean
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 12:39 am

Postby gran » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Hello everyone, I have been away for quite a while and I just wanted to check you were all ok. NSR I almost cried when I saw you were still here, you saved my life God bless you!
And to anyone starting out on a life without gambling, you can do it, you will do it, you have to do it! Love to all Gran xx
gran
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby paulbet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 pm

Day 4

Zero bet on Cheltenham so far. Youre getting nothing off me bookie donations

I can donate to charities if I want to give money to people.

Maybe I will in days to come.

Weekends the worst. So much sport on. Ive blocked off every site now but theres still ones Id say.

The urge never leaves does it. If I smashed my phone it might but I actually went into bookies twice during relapse.

The worst is when I have money....like paycheck, oh look 500 bucks and you know. This week its all going to my mortgage so ill be broke again.

Gambling addiction is telling your 7 year old son you cant bring him to KFC coz NBA took your cash n telling your daughter you may not pay the mortgage to which she cries but we will lose our house. And I mean cry.
paulbet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:13 pm

Gran !

I am so happy to hear from you ! Sorry for the delayed response , I've been away due to work . How are you these days ? Happy and gamble-free I'm sure . :mrgreen:

We miss you here . Please drop in when you can - you've brought so much inspiration to the forum .

All the best ,

NSR
NewSunRising

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:23 pm

paulbet wrote:Gambling addiction is telling your 7 year old son you cant bring him to KFC coz NBA took your cash

Sorry Paulbet , but the reality is that you gave them your cash . Please don't succumb to the victim mentality that the addiction tries to make you believe . Taking responsibility for our actions is part of the healing process . As uncomfortable as it is , it will help you greatly in the end .

Day 4 is a brilliant achievement . It may not feel like much but every day we don't gamble is a victory . No war was ever won in a day or a week or even a year . This is a battle for life - your life and the control you have of it . Keep fighting - this war is won by a thousand little victories .
NewSunRising

Postby paulbet » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Day 7

Very busy few days and anything I would have bet would have been wrong. Thats good
paulbet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby NewSunRising » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:51 am

Well done on your first week ! Notice any changes ? The first thing I discovered was that I was sleeping better . Granted , the urges were still a full time battle , but I wasn't laying awake at night racked with guilt , worry and anxiety over how much I'd lost that day and how badly I had needed it .

Everybody's different when it comes to withdrawal symptoms though . I had some pretty vivid dreams about gambling my first months of recovery . I remember waking up in a panic , feeling horrified by what I'd done until I realized it was only a dream . Scary , that .

Stay strong , Paulbet !
NewSunRising

Postby paulbet » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Day 8.

Next weekend is going to be hard. I will be home. Alone. And with money. If I get that far.

I have to take it second by second.

Why are there so few people posting?

Do we all relapse and go quiet.

I cant log on to any bookies website now. Also I havent been on a bookies website for 5 days. I noticed during my relapse that once in site I just press buttons so a bet can be on. If I never visit the sites this aint possible.

Im the worst gambler. Even if i won a million id lose it all in a week as the compulsion for more sets in. These days its easy as I have no money and I am busy.

Next weekend. Sport. Money and Alone. Whats the best thing to do? Go to a remote island and drink water? I dunno.
paulbet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

PreviousNext

Return to Gambling Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post