Our partner

Addicted to fast food /takeaways

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Addicted to fast food /takeaways

Postby ca33 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:30 am

Hi , i am Caz , 26 from UK.

I have a fastfood/takeaway addiction and it is ruining my life. Everyday i think of it , crave it , feel frustrated if i dont have it. I spent alot of money on them. I didnt used to have this problem.
I dont know what started it. How do i stop?

Please help. Thanks , Caz.
ca33
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Addicted to fast food /takeaways

Postby jilkens » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 am

Hi Caz,

It's likely that this problem has two parts to it: physical addiction to the fast food because of all the salt, sugar and fat in it, and an aspect of emotional eating that goes along with it.

The first part is unpleasant to tackle because the physical cravings are hard to ignore. I found the cravings for fast food went away after about a week.

Emotional eating is harder to address. Do you have rituals associated with the food? Is it a way you treat yourself? How do you feel before, during, and after eating it? If your mood state is dependent on knowing you will be getting the food at some point, you're eating emotionally. Ask yourself what you're thinking, feeling, and experiencing physically as you go through the craving.
Blame it on me, but know that I won't regret one iota.
jilkens
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby alac1980 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 am

hi caz,

i am new to this site. tonight i googled 'fast food addiction message board' in hopes of finding someone out there who suffers the same way that i do. reaching out for those who can support me, i guess you could say. & in turn, i hope to help someone else.

i am severely addicted to fast food. it's absolutely horrid. i spend hundreds of dollars a month on it.

i'm not sure WHY i am hooked on it. i know there is absolutely an emotional component, though i'm not sure how/when/why it developed. i've been buying fast food very frequently since i was a teenager earning money at my first job. i'm now close to 32 years old, and nothing has changed.

i am married and have two children. two little girls who deserve to have money aside to give them things in life. for example, my littlest one would like to take piano lessons. also, i struggle sometimes to buy them necessities in life - snow boots, bathing suits, shoes, etc. it is not that i don't have money - my husband and i have good jobs that provide us with excellent paycheques. the problem is that i throw all the money away on food.

my husband is no support. he likes fast food, though i wouldn't say he's addicted. he sees it as entertainment, social, a day out with family and friends to have dinner. he doesn't stop me when i spend incessant amounts of money on food. i think he may be afraid of the backlash that would likely ensue.

the amount of money i waste is my main motivator for stopping this self destructive behavior. there are many things in life that we do without as a result of not having money. also, i become very agitated and my mood changes when i am faced with perhaps not being able to access it immediately.

i'm not kidding when i say i spend hundreds of dollars. i would guess it's somewhere in the $400/month range.

i'm not sure where to go with this. part of me thinks it may be due to depression - i do struggle with this, though it goes through periods of complete stability - yet my self destructive food behavior does not stop.

perhaps we can figure out some ways to conquer this together. i set myself up for failure by promising myself i won't eat it for a week, two weeks, a month, whatever. i cross the days off on a calender for every day that i'm successful. eventually i miss the emotions that come with eating and i cave.
alac1980
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:48 am

Postby Jermno2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:58 pm

I have a problem with fast food / restaurants. However my problem tends to be that it's way easier to eat out then it is to cook at home. I'm a single guy living in an "apartment" on zoo property. I love the atmosphere and everything but I have no bathroom / running water in my apartment. I have to walk / drive to the visitors center to take a shower / use the bathroom. I have however turned one part of my apartment into a kitchen with a hot plate, microwave, toaster oven, etc.. So I do have the ability to cook, it's just a pain in the butt cleaning the dishes afterwards lol. Having to haul them with me to the visitors center. I have one of those 5 gallon water dispensers and I can refill it for $2.00 so drinking water is no problem.

I would move out, but I can't justify it when I'm living rent / utility free, without having to lift a finger around the zoo unless I want to. Of course with my love for animals I help out almost every day.

So eating out is a convenience for me, and of course I love it too!
Jermno2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:48 am

Postby mcdoublethefat » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:32 am

i know exactly how you feel! btw im am new to this site and trying to get help so there may be some ranting sorry :? Anyway, a few years ago i really restricted and lost about 50 lbs but then i started bingeing. ALOT. i think it may have because of something that happened to me but idk. then i couldnt really get my hands on enough food at once to binge on or (i was working at the time) if i binged i would eat so much i would be sick and could not move and so i couldnt binge because id get fired so i would still binge some just not as often so maybe just a few times a week. so then i was just eating like "snacking all the time. and most of it was fast food and now its gotten so bad i have to have it like 2 times a day of i freak out and now its even worst because im trying to recover and thats stressing me out so i just want food greasy hot fast food. i live less then a minute away from a mcdonalds and its literally killing me. ive gained over 100lbs in less then 2 years from constant fast food consumption. i want to stop i NEED to stop or i WILL die. but i cant. i am extremely obese and lately ive been getting alot of chest pain :cry:
mcdoublethefat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Otter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:53 am

mcdoublethefat wrote: i am extremely obese and lately ive been getting alot of chest pain :cry:

please go to the doctor tomorrow! please do not say ok and then wait. i don't know you from anyone, but I am pleading with you, go to the doctor or ER if you have to - and have this checked out. Come back and tell us about it, and let's team up and break this habit. Ok?
Image Otter Space Man
Otter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sandrana » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:20 pm

to Caz and the others who have replied.

I've only recently become convinced that the flavour enhancers that are used in our popular fast food places are addictive. I don't just mean 'tasty', as we all agree they are, but actually addictive! I've already submitted a post on that, a few days ago.

I have to keep away from them, and I can actually walk past them, (thank goodness). When I'm out shopping, If I go in and have one, I'll be just like some of you and will think about the taste all day and every day, until I can't stand it anymore and go back.
As has been said in other posts, it's almost as bad (if not worse) than alcoholism. The items we crave? We have to somehow not touch them. That, my friends, is the million dollar question. As someone else said, when you have a family and run a household, you cant punish everyone for your own problem, by never buying any of the items that set you off.

Why cant I have a craving for something simple like lettuce?

As for the cost? I'm now trying to apply the same approach that I used (with success) when I gave up smoking. I think of the health aspect and the money aspect.

I wish you all well, and will try to keep the forum posted.
sandrana
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Postby mcdoublethefat » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:44 pm

please go to the doctor tomorrow! please do not say ok and then wait. i don't know you from anyone, but I am pleading with you, go to the doctor or ER if you have to - and have this checked out. Come back and tell us about it, and let's team up and break this habit. Ok?[/quote]

I went to the dr about a month ago for tummy pain and I got a cat scan or MRI I don't remember and I just had some type of infection and everything else was healthy and the chest pain is more like pain in my boobs (sorry if that is tmi) I should have been more specific about that. Thanks for the concern tho :)
mcdoublethefat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby User0614 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:36 am

I've been addicted to/craving fast food too lately, mainly, specifically, McDonald's sausage McGriddle. Specifically because it's like pancakes and sausage and syrup. I know I could just keep these things at home and make them myself once in a while, but as a grad student all I want to do is grab and go. It's awful, really, because I hate McDonald's especially.

I have a weak, undeveloped theory that I'm addicted to corn syrup, aspartame, and any other common chemical found in fast foods and diet sodas.

I'm actually wondering if it's half because of when my mother carried me as a fetus, if she ate a lot of corn syrup!
User0614
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Natalieri13 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:33 am

Hi, guys.
My name is Nat, and I am fast food addict, I work 12 hours night shift, and I do bring my own food to work and planty of it. But I still drive through the fast food places in the morning for heavy breakfast, I usually order Steak egg cheese bagel meal and sausage bisquit plus sweet tea in the morning. I get big satisfaction from getting this food even it cost me almost $10 each time ( 3x week). This is happening only after my night work. My work is very stressful and it is 12 hours long. I eat my home food but still drive through and eat fast meal in the morning. I really need some help. I realize that this is psychological more than physical.. Please, help me here.. How do I start saying no to something I am addicted to???? Cry for help!!!! :(
Natalieri13
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post