Our partner

Addicted to fast food /takeaways

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Re: Addicted to fast food /takeaways

Postby passingthrough » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 am

i first want to say i am anxious about the fact that few people post on this forum, but i'm so thankful for all of your responses and posts.

we are not alone, though society makes us feel that way. even family and friends and facebook especially can do that. we can't be real with them without getting hurt. or at least i can't.

thank you to all of you for posting.

i will post again very soon.
passingthrough
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby kcroyals_fan83 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Hey Caz and the rest of this forum,

I wanted to join a forum because I too have a fast food addiction. Weirdly, I do not have cravings for sweets, alcohol, nicotine, etc, but fast food to me is sooooo adictive! I think the first and most critical step is acknowledging that you have an addiction and are seeking help. I'm glad that there are forums like this for people to reach out. So, I will be posting occasionally and trying to add my two cents here and there, but also try to hold myself responsible for my actions/cravings. Its tough, but we can do it! Fast food is unhealthy and can get expensive - plus it makes me feel like crap (e.g. sleepy and unfocused and bloated). I just want to quit! Put that money toward more useful things. Anyway, best of luck to all! We can do it.
kcroyals_fan83
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:22 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PPMAN123 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:45 pm

I am very addicted since a young age I truly believe my addiction has kept me overweight and single till 37, I feel I have no way of stopping it only delaying it, if I have a craving and go without, the next day it will get worse and then even worse to the point it will stop me functioning and I'll need to use my brain power just to fight the addiction when I should he doing something else, my main addiction is fried chicken (in any form) and Ben and jerrys ice cream, exercise/stress/boredom/tiredness or a mixture of these or even a happy occasion can all lead to a craving.....i don't know how to stop tried Overeaters Anonymous when I was younger that didn't help, I can't identify any particular emotional link other than comfort for the above mentioned trigger times....
PPMAN123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:49 am

Welcome PPMan123 ,

Have you tried counseling ? I think that you should give OA another chance too . One of the keys to overcoming urges is to have a plan in place for when they come on . Distractions are invaluable and the more types you have at hand , the better .

For me , overcoming my urges meant making a list of everything and anything I could do to take my mind off of the screaming in my brain . Just "riding it out " and hoping it will go away is very rarely successful . I have a slot machine addiction and was an active gambling addict for 7 years - tried to stop thousands of times , only to give in to the urges over and over again .

PPMAN123 wrote:if I have a craving and go without, the next day it will get worse and then even worse to the point it will stop me functioning and I'll need to use my brain power just to fight the addiction when I should he doing something else

Actually , this is normal . Our addictions have become accustomed to being fed - with food in your case and with gambling in mine . To cut off the "supply " is like withholding heroin from a drug addict . The cravings and withdrawal symptoms can be extreme and violent .

But they will decrease with time away from the addictive substance. Part of the reason why people stay addicted is that they can't deal with the discomfort and unpleasantness of withdrawal . It's just easier to give in and feed the addiction . Doing that ends the craving immediately . But it also allows the compulsion to continue and increase in strength and frequency .

I hope you seek out a support group - it may not have worked when you were younger but trying it again won't hurt anything and this time you may find yourself more committed to making it through the rough stages with the awareness that this is just what our addictions do when we deny them our " drug " of choice . They fight to get it back and keep it coming .

For what it's worth , it took me 3-4 months of constant battle before my urges began to subside and my brain began to " normalize " . It was Hell , but it was worth the battle . I made a plan for distracting myself from the urges , I accepted that I was going to be miserable for at least half a year , but the misery would end if I just stayed strong and kept fighting .

You can do this .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Postby PPMAN123 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 am

Thankyou so much for the advice, yes I'm not going to give up on this will try again, thankyou
PPMAN123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lawrencepa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 am

Hi I know this post is old but I’m struggling to find people to relate to on this matter. I’m 29 and borderline obese I’ve been struggling with a takeaway habit for years now it only centres around pizza takeaways and I always feel like I’m “due” one every 2-3 days. I’m not sure if it’s because of my weight or perhaps the medication I take for my bipolar. I have been on different meds but the problem has always been there. It started approx 5 years ago with only one takeaway a week. And big ones. But it’s become more frequent. I have been better recently and got smaller ones but I don’t know how long this will last for as these last few days I’ve been getting bigger ones again. I don’t know if it’s binge eating disorder but it does make me feel really guilty the next day. I want to change but every time I tell myself no more then 2-3 days later I’m back doing it. I’m more worried about this than when I smoked (I vape now) I feel like it’s going to kill me eventually. I tried speaking to medical professionals but they don’t take me seriously. How have you guys been getting on? I’d be interested to hear back from you
lawrencepa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby CursedBlessings » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 pm

I always tell myself that I wont eat fast food today or that I wont grasp for sweets but I ended eating it anyways. Then I feel miserable, bloated and ashamed that I have difficulty in going one day without indulging. I suffered some very painful consequences as a result of this addiction that I wish that I could take back.
CursedBlessings
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:22 am

Postby Hailey54 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:38 pm

I've been dependent on/longing for inexpensive food too recently, mostly, explicitly, McDonald's frankfurter McGriddle. Explicitly on the grounds that it resembles hotcakes and hotdog and syrup.
Hailey54
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Previous

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post