Our partner

Is anyone else addicted to sugar?

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Is anyone else addicted to sugar?

Postby Morgenstern » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Gosh, it feels so good to finally find someone who understands!! :( The thing withs this kind of addiction is that most people don't take it seriously. Not even my family believes me when I tell that I can't have sugar because my body has a very strong reaction to it.

The more sugar I eat, the more I crave, and I become a bottomless pit. I can even make myself sick with too much food :evil: And even I have eaten too much, even after I feel sick in the stomach because of it, when I'm done with whatever stash of sugar I have at the moment I always feel miserable at not having more sugar to eat. So I crave it more after having eaten it than before. Why would I put myself through that? It's better not to have sugar at all, and then I would not crave it.

And I know EVERYTHING there is to know about how unhealthy sugar is. But I'm just too hooked on it and I decide to ignore all that when I'm bingeing on sugar...

They only way out for me is cold turkey withdrawal. Actually, I was a sugar abstainer for more than two years but I kind of screwed up last Christmas, when I thought that since I was living a sugar-free live so easily, that must have meant that I wasn't so addicted to sugar after all... So I decided to try the white poison again, and it was the silliest thing I could have done! I relapsed and have been battling my addiction since then. I have a lot of weight to lose, as well :oops:

But I swear on everything that I'm going to abstain from sugar again! I came to this forum looking for moral support to fight my binge eating disorder, but it's nice to find that there's a post devoted to sugar addiction as well, my other inner demon... :D
Morgenstern
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is anyone else addicted to sugar?

Postby DHill87 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Sugar is totally addictive. Each an everyday this is a vice that I struggle with.
DHill87
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:23 am

Postby gato1116 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Good morning everyone,

I am also a sugar addict. I eat 150g of refined white sugar when I feel stressed out.
However, I cannot still admit that I am addicted to sugar. I want to deny that I am an addict.
I have no control over cakes, cookies and ice creams. When I want to have fun, I buy a whole
strawberry cake and eat it all by myself. However, I want to think that I just have a sweet tooth.
No, I don't think I have a sweet tooth; I think I am addicted to sugar.
My health condition is not good. I suffer from dermatitis and constant mood changes.
I need to withdraw from sugar; however, it seems too difficult for me. I feel so happy when I am eating
sugar. I feel fine, satisfied and relaxed. I know this is an addiction.

When I want to relaxed, I stay on bed all day and keep eating sugary food. I read comics and eat butter cookies, coconut cookies, sugary buns et cetera...I do not talk about this problem to my friends. I want to look healthy in front of my friends, so I hide myself and eat. I feel I am sick. I need to quite this habit.
gato1116
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby cesy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:16 am

I m so highly addicted to sugar, it is hard dot resist it any time I see it, I just have craving for sugar after whatever I eat. What should be done to avoid sugar ..
cesy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Postby passingthrough » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:37 am

i first want to say i am anxious about the fact that few people post on this forum, but i'm so thankful for all of your responses and posts.

we are not alone, though society makes us feel that way. even family and friends and facebook especially can do that. we can't be real with them without getting hurt. or at least i can't.

thank you to all of you for posting.

i will post again very soon.
passingthrough
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby twistednerve » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Sometimes I literally heat up white sugar on a spoon and eat the caramel.
"Masturbation is like solar power, it makes you self-sufficient."
- creative_nothing

“Reject a woman, and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also, weak arms.”
- Dwight Schrute

twistednerve
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Postby starkeef » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:01 pm

I was (and I guess still am) a big time sugar addict. I decided to give up all the things sugar came to me as. 1. All types of sweetner. 2. Simple carbs. 3. Beer. Now, I was a skeptic. I read all these posts but guess what? It worked. The only flaw I found in a lot of how long you had to stay off of it until the craving subsides. Many sources say 2-3 weeks. No. It was 4 weeks for me before I really felt that I didn't need it. The caveat is this: The craving never really completely goes away but it's much, much easier to control. It's been 5 weeks now andI feel much better. Not so sluggish and I have lost 14 pounds. I didn't do it for the weight loss but I'm not complaining. Here's the deal, in my non-medical opinion: You must cut out all sweetners. Honey, Stevia, all of it. Fruit is okay, it's a complex carb that is necessary for proper health and helps squelch sugar cravings because it is a sugar. And once you get that sugar out of your system, the fruit tastes so much sweeter and ultimately very satisfying. I really feel strongly that if I can do it any one of you can do it too but it's really one day at a time just like any other addictive substance. So, just like alcohol you're always a drunk, even though you don't drink. I'll always be a sugar addict. I would also suggest watching a terrific documentary that got me started on my journey, 'That Sugar Film'. It's available on iTunes and was life changing for me, personally.
starkeef
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Auxiliary11 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:09 pm

I've been addicted to the stuff since my early teens (I'm 18 now), but I've always suspected I've got some underlying blood sugar problem as if I don't eat anything sugary for a day, not only do I get addiction symptoms like irritability, but also low blood sugar symptoms like chills, weakness/fatigue, fast heartbeat, mood changes, clammy skin, cloudy thinking etc.

I'm doubt I'm diabetic and it's unlikely I'm insulin resistant (I'm pretty slim). I do have slow healing cuts and wounds, but not other diabetic symptoms, so I presume the slow healing wounds are the result of constant spikes in my blood sugar that temporally suppresses my immune system leading to impared healing, I guess.

What I believe I have is Fasting Hypoglycemia, meaning my blood sugar falls rapidly if I haven't eaten in a few hours. I first noticed this whilst attempting a 2 day water fast a while ago, 1.5 days in and I was nearly immobile, had no energy to move, legs and hands would shake, vision started to blur and I knew if I continued I would be screwed so I ate a biscuit and felt better. I've looked into the causes of Fasting Hypoglycemia and the closest thing I've found is Glycogen Storage Disease Type 0 (liver type), or possible Type 1. I need to get that checked soon (maybe I am insulin resistant), as eating a biscuit whenever I feel my blood sugar falling over several years nonstop isn't doing me or my skin much good, but I've found doctors tend to fob me off and call me a hypochondriac whenever I try to get help, as if being 18 means I'm immune to every disease.

Anyone know more about this? I always thought low blood sugar when not eating was normal, but I guess not huh?

And I also have milder candida and fungal issues, one thing that helps is to combat the candida with probiotics.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BeeAqua » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:57 pm

I have huge problems myself with sugar. The only thing I have found that works is completely cutting all refined sugars from my diet, in everything. Meaning if there is sugar in the ingredients (or one of its many forms, including artificial sweeteners), don't eat it. This takes amazing strength though. Here are the main problems I have had in the past, although I believe they can be overcome:

Social Eating: Donuts at work, birthday cakes, candy dishes. In some situations it can be hard to turn down when you are offered food. Usually you can politely decline, but I've learned that sometimes deception is actually called for. I try to remember that most of the time people will not care or notice what you eat or do not eat.

Lack of Resources: Healthy food is expensive in time or money in the short term: unhealthy food is expensive in the long term. Unfortunately all of us have trouble when it comes to choosing long term over short term benefit.

As for me I can't stop eating once I stop. I will not stop until there is no more sugar to be had and then I will buy more!
BeeAqua
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Previous

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post