Our partner

Addicted to Food

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Addicted to Food

Postby shaztheaddict » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 am

Long story short, growing up as a figure skater, never overweight, but had terrible self image, always shopping for clothes thinking "that won't look good" or "if I could lose 10 lbs that would look great" etc. On I go into adulthood, still look great - realize that now at 45, still having thoughts that nothing looks good. About 10-12 years ago I met some friends that were all quite overweight and after a while thought to myself "I have always thought I was fat so maybe I should try it" -these girls seemed relatively happy. So on a bender I went and gained about 50 lbs. OK so now I AM fat!! I have 2 girls 13 and 15, I would like to be a better role model for them. Lately I have been starting weight watchers again and again and after a few days I get to thinking "Oh what's the use" and start eating way too much. I can't seem to kick the old thoughts out. Does anyone have any suggestions???
shaztheaddict
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Addicted to Food

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Shaz,

How do you feel when you eat food? (Particularly foods that are not so healthy, or when you eat when you are already full?) Maybe it gives you a particular feeling that you crave?

If so, could you find a substitute? Is there something other than food that could you make you feel the same way?

I eat too much chocolate when I am sad or stressed. I have heard that feeding ourselves can be a way of giving ourselves love. I try to beat the craving, and do something healthier than stuff my face. But I don't always succeed.

If I were you, I wouldn't focus on my size or weight. Don't think of yourself as fat - it is not important. Concentrate on your health (physical and emotional). Work on getting healthier. When you are living a healthy lifestyle, you will probably lose weight with much less effort than it would otherwise take. :wink:

Then you will have to change your user name. :D
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Postby shaztheaddict » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 am

So Platypus thanks for answering me. My brother has been addicted to drugs for a long time, so I think we are in the same boat.

I have tried the eating healthy and not worrying about the weight, but it only takes one trip clothes shopping to bring me down.

I would like to know why.

My father was verbally and physically abusive to my brother, so I get his deal. My mother is a very interesting person - don't quite know how to explain her. She is a good person, but did not have very good parenting skills - not her fault. She will make things happen if you give her enough rope. She's been my biggest supporter when I am thin, but there is always the "I just found this new diet, you should try it attitude". I have no relationship with dear old Dad.

Anyway I love chocolate and chocolate ice cream - always have. I haven't found anything that's a substitute, and we're not going down the yogurt path!!

Anyway, thanks for listening. Appreciate it.
shaztheaddict
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:09 am

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 am

Ugh, I hate clothes shopping too. And it's not that I hate my body or think I look ugly, I just find shopping to be a dehumanising experience. The exorbitant prices for goods that are assembled in factories in China probably make me dislike it even more. I buy my clothes online now. :wink:

Yeah, my parents were obsessed with my sister's and my weight when we were kids. Whenever I see them, normally the first thing that comes out of their mouth is a comment about my figure (for good or for bad). I think they just can't comprehend that weight and body shape is not the most important thing to most people. My father boasts that he weighs himself everyday to ensure he never gains weight. Wow Dad, that's awesome, you're some kind of superhero - not. He makes horrible audible remarks about fat people that he sees in public. I don't like to go anywhere with him because he is so rude and intolerant, and I am ashamed that he is so inconsiderate of obese people’s feelings.

You don't need to keep your mum's attitude to dieting and weight loss. Next time she says something like that, listen carefully, and ask if her attitude sounds healthy. Ask yourself if it makes her happy. You can reject her views on dieting without rejecting her. Learn from her mistakes; be smarter. Treat yourself better.

You may like to read about Obsessive-Compulsive behaviour to see if a type of compulsion is driving your behaviour. There is an OCD forum here. I imagine people there would have good tips on how to deal with Compulsive behaviour if you think it could be relevant.
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Arbie Wun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:35 am

Shaz,

I too was a young athlete and of course having a good body image was always something I strived for but the constant issues with my parents especially the too and fro because my father would be all about maintaining peak physical fitness and ensuring I could do the training - he also was a very good young athlete and his drive to succeed was past onto myself in particular which is unfortunately the cause of many of my issues.

My mother on the other hand was totally opposite, she would pile my plate with food and would always make sure I ate every bit - A growing boy needs his energy and with my father training me all the time she just kept piling the food in. Eventually of course the young athlete grew older and had much less time for training and was more often working than not but he still had time to eat. I know that clothes shopping for a guy isn't as demeaning as that for the ladies because wafer thin super models have caused a massive shift in dress sizes and of course the worlds women are not all that thin and to be honest I prefer mine with some meat on their bones.

Of course a lot of those body image issues are societies fault because they put too much emphasis on how things look. I know that what is important really is what is inside a person not what the outside is like. The thing I find is a look can be so very easily faked and altered but what a person is on the inside is much harder to fake.
The bright light at the end of a dark tunnel could be an oncoming train, but it could also be the way out of the darkness...
Arbie Wun
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Hussey1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 am

Hey,I think every one has the central decision from brain , you get full and eat more it is not the demand from your stomach but the brain.Habits come from brain and I do comment to get some healthy exercise,activity to make you busy and change the mind inclination towards your habit.Pass some time with your friends and join some gym ect.
Hussey1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 am

Postby Arbie Wun » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:52 am

Hussey, I would eat and eat and eat... my body fat content was the same as a marathon runner and I was an athlete, so I was always training, running and using weights at the gym but it didn't change why I ate. For me the eating wasn't because I needed fuel for my body heck I already had my diet working nicely, I was eating because it made me feel good and that is reason why I ate to excess.

Naturally sometimes we over do things when eating and we can end up unwell. I have been unwell before and I found that I couldn't stop eating, not until I wanted to stop. I have been physically ill from eating and then eaten more because I wanted to eat and it just made me sick again.
The bright light at the end of a dark tunnel could be an oncoming train, but it could also be the way out of the darkness...
Arbie Wun
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby polton » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi,
There is the influence of illegal drugs, legal drugs like prescription drugs and alcohol. These influence some, not all, of the addicts in our midst at work, at home and at play. Most often, these are "functioning" addicts those who manage to pursue a career, get to work on time every day, pay their bills, be married and raise and care for their children, and do everything that society deems as moral.

Thanks
polton
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Platypus » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:00 am

Hi polton,
This thread and forum is about food addiction - not drug addiction. You might want to post in the Substance Abuse forums instead: substance-abuse/
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby shree123 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 am

There are many people have this problem of addiction of food. Now a days this is very common problem and there are best solutions are also available in medical science.
shree123
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Next

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post