Our partner

Addicted to Food

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Addicted to Food

Postby Sunflower0629 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Hello. My therapist agrees that I have a food addiction but my family does not believe me and they say that it’s just in my head and I’m making myself believe that. I binge eat junk food almost everyday and food is the only thing that makes me happy. Once I start eating I don’t stop and no matter how full I am I will continue eating. I sometimes throw up when I’m feeling full so I can continue eating. I’ve gained 30-40 lbs in the last 6 months because of my eating. I’d like to get help and get healthy. I’ve tried going on diets but I always fall back to my ways. When I eat healthy I feel sick and I feel depressed. Everyday I say starting tomorrow I will eat healthy but it never happens. Especially now it’s Christmas time it’s going to be harder for me to eat well but I’d like nothing more than to break my addiction. My therapist told me to limit my food intake and to practice portion control but that is so hard for me it feels impossible and nobody seems to understand me and my family isn’t taking this seriously but I’m so desperate for help. I’m thinking that I will try to recover from this addiction starting tomorrow, Thursday December 12 2019. I think maybe if I talk to others that understand me I can get some necessary help so I can break my addiction. I’d also like to document my journey to get healthy as I think that that’s also something that will help me. So sorry for this rant.
Sunflower0629
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 5:56 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Addicted to Food

Postby thegentlepath » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi Sunflower0629,

Could your family be in denial? Is it possible that if they acknowledge your food addiction, they might have to take a closer look at some of their own dysfunctional behavior(s)? Some people are painfully slow. Could it be that they don’t believe you now, but might believe you in the future?

NEDA (The National Eating Disorders Association) is a good resource: nationaleatingdisorders.org

I think it’s a great idea to document your journey & this website is a good place to do it. You may not get many responses, but I’ve found it helpful as a safe place to write things out.
thegentlepath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (121)

Postby Sunflower0629 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:58 am

thegentlepath wrote:Hi Sunflower0629,

Could your family be in denial? Is it possible that if they acknowledge your food addiction, they might have to take a closer look at some of their own dysfunctional behavior(s)? Some people are painfully slow. Could it be that they don’t believe you now, but might believe you in the future?

NEDA (The National Eating Disorders Association) is a good resource: nationaleatingdisorders.org

I think it’s a great idea to document your journey & this website is a good place to do it. You may not get many responses, but I’ve found it helpful as a safe place to write things out.

I’m going to the dr on Monday for my annual check up and I’ll tell her. Maybe with support from the doctor I can address my family about this. As for now they believe that I just like to eat and not that I have a genuine issue. Thank you.
Sunflower0629
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Aries411 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Hey Sunflower,

Some families just minimize certain problems and think you "just like to eat". I think documenting your progress is a great idea, but also you will need a support system to help you through this journey. Are there any family members who may be more understanding of your problem and your dependency on food?
The holidays can be difficult times, but I hope you stay strong and keep things in moderation.
Aries411
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 8:56 am

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post