Our partner

Over eaters Annonymous and dual addictions

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Over eaters Annonymous and dual addictions

Postby LizinTx » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi I am Elizabeth I am a recovering sex addict love addict and binge eater. I've got 1 year of sobriety in SAA.

I have not started OA yet but there are issues. I use to weigh 342 pounds. I had to lose 50 to get a painful hernia surgery.Then after the surgery I got an infection plus a wound from knocking out 1 or my drains.

I spent 5 and a half months in senior citizens living place and nursing facility and 6 weeks in the hospital and rehab. In that time I was on alot of antibiotics strong ones and morphine which made me sick. When they gave i to me in my veins Id instantly barf.

I was so sick I lost all the way down to 252 now. I have been out of the hospital old folks home 3 months I was down to 240 in the old folks home gained up to 260 now down to 252.

Im maintaining my weight loss.tobecontinued
LizinTx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Over eaters Annonymous and dual addictions

Postby LizinTx » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:37 pm

The problem is that awhile back I attended SLAA Sex and Love Addicts annonymous had a woman tell me she was obese went to OA lost her weight and then became a sex addict then went to SAA. She said she had to go to OA first that's what I should do my thinking is she was insinuating I should stop SAA.

I brought it up to another SAA person who was also in OA and he said he agree with her.
A couple of others said the same thing to me Im not taking of their advice you want to know why?

I have not actually figured what they are actually talking about or saying to me,I have absolutely no idea.
Are they saying go to both SAA and OA are they saying stop going to SAA go back out and sexually act out while I am in OA? Are they telling me to put my weight back on so I can go to OA? Maybe they think my sex addiction is in my head,some folks do not believe women can become sex addicts?

I have organizational dislexia. I can read and write fine.But if I'm driving a car on a freeway I turn my signs around backwards which is why I don't drive much anymore. If I go into a big building I have never been into I have to get my sisters to take me so they can tell me on my cell phone how to get in and out.

I will walk into the wrong office, not be able to find my way out turn the entrance exit around in my head.
The point is trying to work 2 programs is not making sense and peoples words aren't making sense to me at all.

But I have a lot of weight loss 90 pounds so I don't see a need for OA so I'm sticking to my program for now.
LizinTx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 am

Re: Over eaters Annonymous and dual addictions

Postby NewSunRising » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:23 am

Welcome LizinTx ,

Congratulations on your weight loss ! That's an awesome achievement and I hope you're seeing the positive effects from it .

People are always going to have opinions and they're usually based on their experience . It's good to have an open mind about them but your choices are your choices .

I think their reasoning is this : Trying to manage 2 very different and difficult behaviors at the same time can become overwhelming to the point where some people just give up trying .
They feel like " If I can't fix everything , then I can't fix anything ."

It sounds like you have a good plan that's working for you . What's important is that you're honest with yourself if you find that it's not working . Recovery is about trying everything and keeping what works .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Return to Food Addiction Forum