Our partner

Help me

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Help me

Postby Geckodon42 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:45 am

My name is Kamryn, I'm 16, and I have a crippling addiction to food. It started when I was probably about 8 years old, when I would sneak into my family's kitchen, early in the morning every day, and steal Hershey kisses from a giant jar my parents had. From there, my food addiction arose. I suspect it's because I've not lived in the best conditions in my life and my family has been torn apart in the past year and a half that it has escalated. My parents started realizing it was a problem when, on several occasions,, they had discovered I had eaten food that was intended to be used for dinners (tortillas, cheese, chips, etc.). I started getting in trouble over it shortly afterwards and since then the intensity of my binging as well as my punishments that come as consequences have incteased radically. I write this now after being caught at 10:30 at night trying to sneak into the freezer and get an ice cream sandwich, my second one of the night. This is worse than usual, as it followed the discovery of the extent of my bringing from my dad, resulting in my grounding, as well as a disappointed talking to from my mother. I do not predict this will end well for me but I realize that it is my fault for trying to sneak food. I don't necessarily blame my parents either for over punishment for me, as it isn't just a health issue, but also a financial issue, as we don't have the money to be buying tons of food. I'm hoping that the people of this forum can help provide some support as well as advice for breaking my addiction. I don't know what to do. Help me.
Geckodon42
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 9:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Help me

Postby toriablue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Kamryn!

It's nice to 'meet' you! I'm Victoria, and I'm 18.
I've read your post, and I'm really glad you've reached out for help! I'm by no means a mental health professional, but *mod edit* I myself have (very recently) struggled with my very own food addiction.

I think you have a very positive outlook on your situation; as you've said your parents will have a very difficult time understanding your actions and how to deal with them appropriately, and, while it's not your fault that you have certain impulses (a lot of this do have to do with your environment and body), you haven't victimised yourself. The most important first step is realising that it is, indeed, your responsibility now to take action and change your life for the better, and that that's very much possible.

While I never had what would be classified as an eating disorder, I have faced a lot of the same emotions and problems, such as binge eating, wanting to eat in secret, excessive guilt, and etc. etc. However, I am also a certified personal trainer and fitness enthusiast, thus I've since turned my psychological reactions (in terms of food addiction and a prior panic 'disorder') into curiosity and learning opportunities. I've talked to people, done some research, and seen some first hand accounts, and it's helped me see the bigger picture.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit, it's just that I'd really like to help you get to a better place, and it would be a pleasure if you would accept what help I can offer you on a level of peer support :)

I'm not sure what other information you might be looking for right now, but please do respond (I'll try to check back often) *mod edit*

Look forward to hearing back from you,

Victoria
Last edited by Snaga on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule edits and privacy edits
toriablue
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 9:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Food Addiction Forum