Our partner

Any Luck just Cutting out Sugar

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Any Luck just Cutting out Sugar

Postby NoSugarNoGrain » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:02 am

I have a problem with sugar and with flour or any kind of grain really. I'll eat myself sick every time.

I couple years ago I decided to just cut out all refined sugars and all grains from my diet. Over a few months I went down to a healthy weight with no added exercise at all. Unfortunately over the next couple years I went off the diet and gained it back.

I just ended my first week back on the only diet I've ever gotten to work. My sugar withdrawal is over (I was dreaming about snickers and candy early in the week!) and I feel much better... but I wanted to know if other people have done this and how it is has gone.

Have you ever tried to cut out sugar and/or grains? What has been your experience?

I'd like to mention this is not Atkins, I let myself eat as much as I want including whole fruit and vegetables.

I just believe now that I cannot control myself to have candy or sweets, I just can't stop and I eat more and more!
NoSugarNoGrain
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Any Luck just Cutting out Sugar

Postby Otter » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 am

HI -

I have had to cut sugar and grain out of my life because I am diabetic. I assume you are not. What I found very helpful was getting a FitBit (activity tracker) and using their website to log all my daily food. I customize the setting to what is healthy for me. The interface is very intuitive and once set up there isn't much time wasted each day plugging in my numbers.

Charting somehow helps me keep things in check. I hate the idea of having to "go over" limits and see RED warning signs appear on chart. I know that seems silly (its seems silly to me!) but it works.

Of course, all the other standards apply too.

- don't buy sweets in bulk, so they are easily accessible at home.
- start by cutting down to 1/3 you normally eat
- eat it slow
- choose a shop farther from home and designate as a place you buy sweet (if you must!), so you may be inclined to "skip it" if you don't have the time to travel
- look into desserts and treats that are sugarless. it may taste like crap at first but eventually you will get used to it...etc

hope this helps -

otter.
Image Otter Space Man
Otter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:42 pm

Postby Jamie514 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Otter wrote:HI -

I have had to cut sugar and grain out of my life because I am diabetic. I assume you are not. What I found very helpful was getting a FitBit (activity tracker) and using their website to log all my daily food. I customize the setting to what is healthy for me. The interface is very intuitive and once set up there isn't much time wasted each day plugging in my numbers.

Charting somehow helps me keep things in check. I hate the idea of having to "go over" limits and see RED warning signs appear on chart. I know that seems silly (its seems silly to me!) but it works.

Of course, all the other standards apply too.

- don't buy sweets in bulk, so they are easily accessible at home.
- start by cutting down to 1/3 you normally eat
- eat it slow
- choose a shop farther from home and designate as a place you buy sweet (if you must!), so you may be inclined to "skip it" if you don't have the time to travel
- look into desserts and treats that are sugarless. it may taste like crap at first but eventually you will get used to it...etc

hope this helps -

otter.

Without any doubt, I agree with you, Your openions are 100% true.
Jamie514
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:42 pm

Postby Holodeck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 pm

About a year ago I cut out sugar by easing myself through chewing bubblegum. Cutting sugar was really hard for me, but after a while I was able to ease up on the gum, and eventually go cold turkey. ^_^
Holodeck
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:42 pm

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post