Our partner

I think I have a food addiction...

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

I think I have a food addiction...

Postby briiiana » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:16 am

Ever since I was a young girl I have been struggling to lose weight. My mom always felt I was overweight and so did my doctors. I am now 24 and 270 ibs and going up. I've always had disordered eating. I would lie about my food habits and hide food in my room to snack on. I have always prided myself on being someone who never did drugs or got into alcohol. I still don't drink and have only ever done drugs (weed) a few times. I always thought I was fairly strong to never get into these habits, because with my depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem, I always really felt like I was exactly the type of person who might end up like that. The only problem I realize is now, is that I actually do have an addiction, only to food. I wish I had a clue where to start, but nobody really talks about food addiction and nobody can tell because I hide it, and eating is a normal activity. I know I am unhealthy and this is only making me feel worse. I recently went almost 3 weeks without eating any sweets (which are my main comfort food), and I fell right off the wagon during thanksgiving. I hate myself for this. I want help. Eventually I would be willing to go to real life meetings or something to get help, and I already signed up for therapy, but this is all really scary and I would like to start here. Hopefully I can find some helpful support from people who understand what I am going through.
briiiana
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I think I have a food addiction...

Postby NewSunRising » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:19 am

Welcome to the forum Briiiana ,

I think addiction to anything is hard to talk about at first . It takes courage to admit to ourselves that we don't have control over some aspect of our lives . I am a gambling addict and also a woman - I viewed my addiction as "weakness" , which just depressed me more and I beat myself up a lot because I couldn't "just stop" .

Seeking outside help was the best thing I ever did . You are not alone and you don't have to deal with thing alone . I agree - opening up about an addiction in front of others is really scary , until you hear them opening up about theirs and you realize that these people aren't judges , they are allies .

Post here any time ! This isn't a super-active forum , but I'm here if you want to talk , or you can just write things out . I found writing to be very healing for me .

All the best ,

NSR
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Postby briiiana » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Thank you for the reply. I hope spending a little time online will help me find the courage to seek "in person" help. Do you know of any places online that are a little more populated that talk about this issue?
briiiana
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:23 am

Postby akiradavidsong » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:52 am

I understand your feelings to some extent..You used food as a drug, when you're anxious, you want eating food, when you're stressful, you want to eat more...maybe thing work like that.I suggest that you can listen to Tony Robbins program "the body you deserve"(there's a free version online), it works on me and I think it will help you,good luck
akiradavidsong
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:23 am

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post