Our partner

Caffeine Addiction

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Caffeine Addiction

Postby Lizzibuzz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:09 am

I didn't really know what category to put this into but I need help.

I know how lame it sounds to say "hey, I'm addicted to caffeine". I almost wish - almost - that it was something more believable like Diazepam or Morphine or Alcohol, where people accept it more. But it's caffeine, and people don't really accept it as a serious addiction, even though it is.

Because of this, I have told none of my friends or family; also, this is partially because I feel certain they would just brush it off, in the same way as some people brush depression off as 'being sad', or they brush fibromyalgia off as 'faking it'. This is especially likely as I have Asperger's Syndrome which may make people think I'm just 'confused' or 'doing it for attention'.

I know I need help, but I do have physical medical issues as well so I'm reluctant to see a GP in case he/she decides that my physical issues are no longer relevant in light of this.

I know it sounds really, really tame, and I know people bang on about how one can simply drink less coffee, or wean themselves off but that is not working for me.

Can I have some help here, please?
Lizzibuzz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Caffeine Addiction

Postby Oliveira » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:11 am

Caffeine is seriously addictive and withdrawal is pretty terrible. The main difference between caffeine and sugar vs morphine, heroin etc. is that caffeine and sugar are socially accepted. But it is possible to die of caffeine overdose:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/teen-death ... d=24397704

I have no clue what your issues are, but if you are afraid (do you have reasons to think so?) that your GP isn't going to treat you seriously, maybe you could try a different one? No idea how it works in your country.

Maybe this would be helpful: http://www.wikihow.com/Quit-Caffeine

Big hugs, and I hope you can overcome your addiction.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby zausel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:16 pm

At one point I had gone most a day without caffeine and had some gnarly headaches that made me a raging asshole. The struggle is real. The withdrawal is real.

-- Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 pm --

At one point I had gone most a day without caffeine and had some gnarly headaches that made me a raging asshole. The struggle is real. The withdrawal is real.
This sloth doesn't understand the statement.
--Zausel, Camelidae requested.

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-- Mark Twain
zausel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:41 pm

Postby passingthrough » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 am

i first want to say i am anxious about the fact that few people post on this forum, but i'm so thankful for all of your responses and posts.

we are not alone, though society makes us feel that way. even family and friends and facebook especially can do that. we can't be real with them without getting hurt. or at least i can't.

thank you to all of you for posting.

i will post again very soon.
passingthrough
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post