Our partner

How do others seek help?

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

How do others seek help?

Postby kiki9 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Hello! Over the course of my life, I've always had one addiction after another: anorexia; an assortment of drugs including alcohol, heroin, and benzo's; cutting and other self-harm. In addition, schizoaffective disorder.

Now, it seems I'm having trouble with overeating. I eat when I am not hungry. I eat to cope with every mood, happy or sad. Instead of eating one portion of a meal, I eat four or five or more. I'm not eating healthy food, except the occasional banana or broccoli. I've gained an extreme amount of weight, and I still can't stop. My family is disappointed in me and I'm disappointed in myself. I desperately want and need to get healthy before I get diabetes or have a heart attack at 26 years old. I literally eat myself sick.

Where do I go? I've seen nutritionists; I follow their plans and menus for up to a week and then binge eat. My psychiatrist says it's from my antipsychotics and mood stabilizers, but I can't stop taking those. Is Overeaters Anonymous helpful? Should I try another nutritionist? At least, can anyone relate? That would mean a lot! Thanks!
kiki9
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do others seek help?

Postby starbright333 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:57 pm

HI Kiki9!!Please dont be so hard on yourself.Its not your fault.Mental health medications are notorious for putting weight on people.I dont know why.The only thing I can think of is its about the alteration of the brain chemicals.I have only taken benzos for anxiety,so am not familiar with your meds.But I know alot of people have complained about being hungry all the time..not being aware they are full.Speak to your doctor about changing your meds.Tell him you are NOT happy with what the current meds are doing to your body.Make your point known.
I have struggled with bulimia since my late teens.I am in my 40s now.Its better,but I still have an occasional off day..I know all about binge eating.My mind goes blank..numb..and I literally have no concept of the amount I have eaten or why.I know why,someone triggers me,the stress builds,then the binge comes on.One of the best things I find is to not have easy access foods,junk foods,snack foods in the house.If they arent here,we cant eat them.Plus the companies put things in their foods to cause addiction,so that the consumer keeps coming back for more.Eat natural,organic if you can..I started walking.I have to force myself sometimes.But I go and really do llove it.YOU have to make the time for YOU.Start slow.It works and helps.
I have had plenty of addictions over the years too.I come from a very abusive childhood,and self medicating and numbing was how I learned to deal.Plus my father would call me fat at any given chance.I weighed less then 110lbs and he would call me a big girl..fat..and say all I did was eat.His cruelty and abuse weighed on me deeply.I have found one of my best tools for my eating disorder is meditation/prayer.I am NOT a churchy person..or organized religion,but consider myself spiritual,and have found meditation to help me immensely.(I meditate to Holy Spirit/Infant Jesus of Prague).

I wish you peace,happiness,and joy in life.I hope you find answers and solutions soon.I found it sad that you said people were disappointed in you.Weight should be dealt with best you can for health,but weight doesnt make a person who they are.Kindness..compassion..acceptance..forgiveness are what makes a person a beautiful soul..Hugs XX (:
starbright333
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (15)

Re: How do others seek help?

Postby Gerbert6 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 am

Healing is a hard process. And if now your mental health is ok, you can try some pills for weight loss. I took *mod edit* and it kinda helped me but you also have to eat healthy food.
Last edited by Oliveira on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post links to commercial products here.
Gerbert6
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Food Addiction Forum