Our partner

I'm a sweet food addict and can't stop it

Food addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

I'm a sweet food addict and can't stop it

Postby Crescendo1 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm 25 and I can't stop eating sweet stuff. I'm not fat, I think I'm chubby but this bad addiction of mine is going to make me fat if I don't do something about it.

I'm 5'7'' tall and weigh 185 lbs. Actually I'm not sure where the weight comes from, because if you saw me you would NEVER think I weighed that much.

The thing is, even if I go on diets and stop eating sweet food, I double my sweet portions when I stop being on a diet. If I don't get to eat anything sweet during 1-2 days, I lose my cool and might become really angry for no reason which unsual for me, because I'm a very nice person normally.

I feel satisfied when I get to eat something sweet. It's not just on mental level, it's even more on a physiological level. I can't explain, but it feels like my organism's asking for sweets.

For example, o an average working fay I can eat (apart from normal food): 8-10 chocolated-covered cookies, 6-8 sweets, 4 waffles, 4-6 marshmallows, and probably a whole bar of chocolate in the evening. And I could eat even more if I didn't try to stop myself.

I have a weak stomach, I have allergies, I have all sorts of problems with health and I know damn well that I'm going to ruin my health even more if I don't stop eating sweet stuff so much, but I just can't stop.

What do I do? Are there any good books on it? Any good articles, advice, whatever? I desperately need help because I know I won't be able to just cope with it alone, and I'm ashamed to tell my friends about it.
I'm losing confidence, because I'm gaining weight slowly, and I feel stupid euphoria when I eat sweets to the point I don't need anything in life.
Crescendo1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm a sweet food addict and can't stop it

Postby starbright333 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Cresendo,sugar is addicting.Studies have shown it acts on similiar receptors in the brain as cocaine..so dont feel bad when you lose control.Its not you but it IS the sugar.

What is worse that so many companies shove so much uneeded sugar,salt,dyes,preservatives in their products with the sole intention of getting the buyer addicted.

Try starting cutting back.Sugar is behind so many health problems..Corn syrup is even worse then cane sugar.They say sugar is sugar,but it is not.Corn syrup,which is plastered in everything now,even supposedly "healthy" labeled products,and is broken down and stored by the liver differently then cane sugar,is most likely coming from genetically altered corn,which makes it even quadruple worse.I believe corn syrup nation is behind the obesity problen in America.The corn industry denied this though of course.

Maybe read some info/books/ebooks on how to break the sugar addiction.Try getting involved in cooking/baking.Making homeade is healthier,plus homeade doesnt have the preservaatives for shelf life,and you can control whats in it.Baked goods can have the sugar cut back,egg whites can be used instead of whole eggs alot of times,applesause can be used as fat replacement too alot of times..

And dont feel ashamed...Most of Americans eat way too much sugar and are probably addicted to it to some extent.The comppanies want us addicted so we come back for more and make them rich,plus we make the medical field rich with all our sugar related health problems.

And last but not least..dont buy the stuff.If you dont have it you cant eat it.XX
starbright333
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (15)

Postby sandrana » Fri May 16, 2014 8:10 am

I agree with starbright333. Corn Syrup has a lot to answer for. It's very difficult giving up sugar altogether, because, as you have said, you feel terrible and get bad headaches. It's a 'withdrawal'. it takes a very strong minded person to go through with it, perhaps for a week, when it's in almost everything. However, at least if you do cook your own food, you can be in control.

One other thing.....in recent years, when TV programs bang on about 'junk food', I used to react by saying 'food is food'. If you are hungry, you will eat almost anything, and there's no such thing as 'junk food'. After all, poor people from poorer countries don't get the choice. In the Western World, we do. A bit too much choice sometimes. However, binging too much on the wrong things is always bad news.

Keep visiting the board. Knowledge is power. Someone who posts on here may just be the one who inspires you, or points you in a direction that you can handle for your own success.
sandrana
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:28 am

Postby kiki9 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Hello! I'm not in a position to give advice because I'm overeating on everything, especially sugar, but in my experience it seems like fruit can cure a sweet tooth at least for a few minutes. When I lived at home, my mom made me substitute strawberries, bananas, and raspberries for ice cream and cookies.
kiki9
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby green m+m » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:00 am

I'm addicted to those chocolate cupcakes with the cream filling right now. I've been eating them box by box. I don't see it as a problem though. :evil: I tried to give up chocolate once....it didn't work.
green m+m
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:28 pm

Postby Tenebres » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:02 pm

My BMI says also that I am overweight...and I am trying to go low carb so cutting on sugar is a must.I ate like two pieces of chocolate today and I drinked on coffee with sugar.
But I am trying to cut even more sugar due to the fact that I might have insulin resistance...

This si very serious.Think about your health.Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you want to get sick and be controlled by some sweets or if you want to take control over your life.

Right now I am searching for healthier choices when it comes to chocolate(high in cacao),I am gonna replace the sugar with all-natural honey and I am gonna cook myself everything I eat just to be sure I don't eat salami with all types of chemicals.

I am discovering the taste of good food that is not actually unhealthy.
Tenebres
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Llb1961 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:21 am

I'm a sugar addict too. The worse thing is that I'm diabetic and can't stop eating sugar. I try to stop myself but impulsively buy sugary foods. I'm gaining weight too. I hide my over eating of sugary things from everyone. Esp my husband.
I need help
Llb1961
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Jamie514 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:03 am

You're not alone friend. I'm also a sweet food addict. No doubt eating sweetness is enormously helping me gain weight. Now recently I went to my doctor and after measuring my weight, she suggested me to stop eating sweet and salty things both together. Advice me to eat only fruits and non oily foods. Now I'm feeling totally alien after not eating sweet things for more than 10 days.
Jamie514
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Return to Food Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post