Our partner

Fetish: is it learnt or

Open discussions about the various fetishes.
Forum rules
================================================

The Fetishes Forum is now closed for new posts. It is against the Forum Rules to discuss Fetishes as the main topic of a post anywhere at PsychForums.

================================================

You are entering a forum that contains discussions of a sexual nature, some of which are explicit. The topics discussed may be offensive to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Fetish: is it learnt or

Postby benzpheta » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:54 am

So,

the other day i was in psychology class and my professor said fetishes are similar to phobias, we learn them. This kind of stuck with me and i attempted to ask her about it but she didn't really answer my question.

Are fetishes learnt? Do we just see it once and become attracted to it, what makes us have the fetishes we have?

I hope there's an answer to this, please dont tell me to google it though. I'd enjoy personal answers like relate it to your own fetishes.

Thanks!
benzpheta
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Fetish: is it learnt or

Postby Alice00 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:12 pm

(English is not my first language, so if I'm hard to understand, sorry! ;))

I think this is a very interesting subject too.
I did some research on it, but most of it concluded that it was unknown how fetishes come to exist.
I read that there are some theories about certain childhood problems that would cause a fetish.

Personally, I think a fetish is something that you somehow learnt, but it also depends on your personality what kind of fetish you will have or maybe your personality won't 'make you' have a fetish at all. I think most fetishes are learnt in our childhood. I have always known my (extreme) fetish since I ever became interested in sex at all (when I was about 12).

That's all I have for you ;)

How do you think a fetish 'originates'?
Alice00
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Excuses » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:23 am

Learnt isn't a word.
Dx: ADHD-PI, GAD, BPD Traits
Px: Adderall XR, Zoloft, Klonopin PRN
Excuses
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:41 am

Postby benzpheta » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:58 am

You're wrong.

It's the British spelling of 'learned'.
benzpheta
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Wally58 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Returning to the topic at hand. Spell-check is on.
What goes through your mind when you're acting-out your fetish?
For me, it reminds me of when I first encountered the sensation that aroused me so long ago and still consistently arouses me today.
Like déjá vu. A fetish can be a life-long fancy. A longing or a yearning.
For me, it can be triggered by a cool breeze, a darkened hallway, stillness. It all floods back to me. I was in that place back then. I still ask myself 'why', but I don't dwell on the 'why' or drink over it like I used to.
A counselor told me it is the way we are 'wired'. Because it is re-enforced by the 'pleasure centers' of our brain, we keep seeking it out.
It is deeply personal, although many of us share the same fetishes. We may have even come upon it in a similar manner. It is not right or wrong, it just is.
I feel as long as no one is injured or forced against their will or breaks the law, it should be OK. :mrgreen:
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Postby Rednecks Pocket » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:31 pm

OP Benzpheta

I agree and I disagree with your prof. Fetishes and phobias are both reactions from a stimulated neural pathway.

You see a spider and you have arachnaphobia, your eyes send a message to your brain and your fight/flight response is activated. Fetishes work the same way, there is a response from the brain due to earlier exposure which was experienced as pleasurable and sexual.

Both sexual arousal and the opposite phobias have a physiological and a psychological aspect to them. I think that's what your prof neglected to clarify.

It can be learnt behaviour, it can also be acquired behaviour and lastly it can be replacement behaviour. This would explain why most women are not happy around creepy crawlies while it doesn't affect most men, that's where the hard wiring comes in.
Replacement behaviour is substituting an action that isn't acquired because the action is related to other memories that are pleasant or not. Starts with a pinch, ends with a peg.

Good luck with the studies. :)
In the end they never could define me.
Rednecks Pocket
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Blog: View Blog (5)

Return to Fetishes

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post