Our partner

do narc parents change?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.
Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

do narc parents change?

Postby jaus tail » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:29 am

my mom is a narc. she's 60 years old now. never had any therapy. no friends or social life.
will she ever change? i try giving her some insight but the next day she's back to the person she was.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: do narc parents change?

Postby Snaga » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Moved to SOFF with link left back in Child Abuse to follow here, I'm thinking this is probably more suited for the SOFF forum.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:54 pm

Postby Terry E. » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:29 am

Changing means dealing with reality, that they are not that special, let alone trying to correct flaws.

Mine is late 90s and a little worse as in the last 15 years she has stopped trying to pretend she is anything other than who she is.

When she was in mid 80s and early 90s was still playing games with the nursing home staff, especially the "can you please pull down that bag from the top shelf for me" and when they get under it, she would scoot off her bed on two sticks rush over and reach up with the stick and yank it down on their heads. "I was just trying to help you and you got in the way". Oh what fun for all.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jaus tail » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:00 am

that's scary.
i still harbor immense rage over past behavior. n now it seems theres way more triggering behavior to come.

how did the nursing staff deal with her? i mean no offense but people get whacked up if u mess with them.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jaus tail » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 pm

All YouTube videos preach forgiving your narc parents.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Terry E. » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 am

jaus tail wrote:that's scary.

how did the nursing staff deal with her? i mean no offense but people get whacked up if u mess with them.

They moved her right to the very end of the facility in the Dementia ward. She gets to eat in a little star of tables with people who cannot remember what she did to them the day before. No fun in that though is there. Has zero quality of life but is grimly hanging on. We think she may be afraid to die. Never know, all those Christians may be right.
Terry E.

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post