Our partner

Can't let go of distractive behaviour

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.
Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Can't let go of distractive behaviour

Postby FWSW » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:59 am

I am a new Health and Wellbeing Coach and I am currently working with a client who is not able to let go of distractive behaviour. I know from personal experience that when we live with a certain behaviour for a long time then we are scared to let go because we know how to deal with the current behaviour even if it is not what we want. However, we do not know what it feels like to be on the other side. It is not clear whether it will be any better or whether will be adrift. The worry of potentially being out of control feels overwhelming. It is therefore scary to let go of the known to venture into the unknown. I also know though that had I not made that step I would have never got over my eating disorder. Now I would like to help my client make that leap but I am not sure how. They are so scared of letting go and it is very painful to watch when the resolutions are so obvious to anyone but them. Does anyone know how I could approach this?
Last edited by Snaga on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to SOFF, no edits
FWSW
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 4:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can't let go of distractive behaviour

Postby Snaga » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:45 pm

Hello, and welcome!

Without knowing more about the person, I'm not sure what anyone here could tell you- we're a peer support forum, so no one is here to give you professional advice on how to go forward, we only know what we all live in, so to speak. Is it a nervous habit, or a self-destructive habit they have?

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post