Our partner

What mental health problems does my friend have?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

What mental health problems does my friend have?

Postby Uriahsky » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:56 pm

I can’t get this person to go to the doctors for a proper diagnosis. She is a transgender m to f. 54 years old. Will not talk about herself and her problems much. Here is some of the things she does.

1. Yells and screams out loud to all day long to these voices in her head or to no one. With lots of swear words and anger. This can go in from morning to night. It is always the same story line, nothing really changes for hours she will be yelling out at these people who took her money and killed her mom (her mom is alive in Mexico, and the next day it will be the exact same thing.
2. Breaks things constantly. TVs, cell phones, windows, everything she owns usually gets ruined after awhile. She is usually in psychosis or thinking she is hitting these imaginary people with some close by object when it happens.
3. Has a long drawn out delusional story that involves blaming others for all of her problems and blaming others for things they have never done. This story doesn’t change no matter what is said. I know that this is called Delusional Disorder and is one thing I know she has.
4. Constantly forgets or misplaces things and instantLy says who took my thing. Did you take my X. You took my X. She will freak out until the thing is found blaming others until it is found. It is always her forgetting where she put the item.
5. She only has four or five things she is interested in. She only talks about her delusional story and her mom. And a few other things. She talks about nothing else. Not music or movies or politics anything. Now there is a language problem she is Hispanic and though she does speak English well enough to hold a job (which she can’t anymore) she is more comfortable speaking Spanish. But she generally doesn’t talk much at all. She has never started a conversation about anything other then what I mentioned above.
She will talk to the voices all day long but not much to others.
5. She Sees people and things and hears voices. Every time she hears her moms voice or some old friends voice she is 100% sure that she actually just talked to them. She will get real angry if you don’t believe her.
6. She thinks she is an angel.

I know there may be some kind of schizophrenia going on here and it may be meth induced but she did let out that she did some bazaar things before she ever tried it. I am concerned about some early stage dementia going on. She has real trouble with even the simplest problem. Even real simple compter problems like closing a tab leave her confounded. Se spends all day putting on makeup and getting ready to go out, some cooking and cleaning.
I do not think that she can control her outbursts at all. I have tried everything and she has never stopped it.

So I see schizophrenia, psychosis, Delusional disorder. What else might be going on here? She won’t go to a doctor or any kind of support group. And to top it off, doesn’t think she has a problem at all.
Thanks
Kevin
Uriahsky
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What mental health problems does my friend have?

Postby NewSunRising » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:48 pm

Welcome Kevin ,

I'm sorry that your friend is experiencing this and it's an admirable thing that you want to help her . Unfortunately , no one here is qualified to diagnose your friend , nor is it permitted to even suggest a diagnosis based on a description of symptoms .

I can only suggest contacting your local law enforcement and asking them to do a welfare check . As a friend , there is almost nothing you can do for her beyond this . She needs professional help and in her current condition , it is very unlikely she will reach out for it on her own . It may feel like betrayal to report her to authorities but the truth is , it may prevent her from possibly harming herself or others .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:43 am

Postby thegentlepath » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi Kevin,

I agree with NewSunRising. Could your friend still be using meth?
thegentlepath
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (120)

Postby Uriahsky » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Yes she still uses meth and she won’t quit. I have to choose my battles and this one is a ways off. I have exhausted all possible city and state run programs that might help and there is nothing they can do. Police, ambulance, mental health emergency team, hospitals, shelters, rehab.
One of the symptoms of Delusional Disorder is that nothing seems wrong with you and you don’t think you are sick. And she is suspicious of everything I do and I am the main source of human contact. Over the last year it has only gotten worse. I try and understand it the best I can so that I can cope with her outbursts.
Oh well,
Thank you
Kevin
Uriahsky
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Uriahsky » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:08 am

Yes, meth is a problem but you can’t tell her anything and she told me once some doctor said it was good for her. She went through a two month rehab and got clean a few years ago and if I remember she was a much better person. I guess I could just slowly watch her crash and burn but what I was hoping was that maybe if she got on an antipsychotic it might make her stable enough to realize that she is better now and then she might have more clarity and then maybe try and cut back or quit the meth. It is hard to do nothing when she yells and screams at this voices and visions all day. I am sure some of this or who knows maybe all is some kind of meth psychosis. But I just don’t know for sure because she won’t talk about this before meth or during meth. But she won’t go to a doctor, even by FaceTime so what do do but nothing.
Uriahsky
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Wally58 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Obviously you can't treat or help an actively-using addict or alcoholic with mental health issues.
I was called 'dual-diagnosis' in rehab. It was a frightening term, as it sounded like they wanted to discharge me out of the program. Luckily I hung in there and did what they told me.

Recovery is a process, not an event, but has to be well underway in order to address any other personal issues.
After I stopped drinking and drugging, 90% of my problems went away. I was able to work on the other 10% with a clear and sober mind, anti-anxiey/antidepressant meds and counseling. The newfound support in the rooms of AA saved my life. My health and sanity came back. Life became manageable.
It is one day at a time.
Best of luck to both of you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:43 am

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post