Our partner

Do you live with hoarders?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Do you live with hoarders?

Postby thegentlepath » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 pm

I want to know! I do. :evil: I’m also a hoarder, but my own hoard doesn’t consciously trouble me much. :twisted:
thegentlepath
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (120)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you live with hoarders?

Postby thegentlepath » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:05 pm

Hoarding is on a spectrum from level 1 to level 5, level 5 being the most severe. A level 5 hoard includes at least 4 too many pets, per local regulations, noticeable human feces, and rotting food on surfaces & inside a non-working refrigerator.

For as frustrating as our collective hoard is, it’s still only a level 1. :shock: However, hoarding is a progressive disorder that will get worse in the future if it’s not addressed in the present. We could be at a level 5 hoard some day without really trying. :(
thegentlepath

Re: Do you live with hoarders?

Postby thegentlepath » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:46 pm

thegentlepath wrote:Hoarding is on a spectrum from level 1 to level 5, level 5 being the most severe. A level 5 hoard includes at least 4 too many pets, per local regulations, noticeable human feces, and rotting food on surfaces & inside a non-working refrigerator.

For as frustrating as our collective hoard is, it’s still only a level 1. :shock: However, hoarding is a progressive disorder that will get worse in the future if it’s not addressed in the present. We could be at a level 5 hoard some day without really trying. :(

I’m not the person who determines our hoard level number. We meet some but not all criteria on all 5 levels. :evil: This used to be a nice house, but our family has turned it into a real crap hole. :evil: I’m beating a dead horse nagging about it. :lol: :cry: It makes me angry & frustrated. My family leans hard into their toxic relationships, toxic religion, & toxic politics as coping mechanisms instead of just cleaning this place up.

It’s only going to get worse. Hoarding is a progressive disorder. None of us is getting any younger. I’m leaning more towards acceptance these days though, less on bad thoughts, but the bad thoughts are still strong. Using the anger & irritability management skills app has helped. I had difficult conversations both today & yesterday with a family member. I don’t seek them out, they come find me. I’m not being the good little enabler & this is causing feelings. This whole thing is exhausting & bigger than me. It’s a family system thing.
thegentlepath

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post