Our partner

Understand a close relatives behaviour

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Understand a close relatives behaviour

Postby ChiefDruid » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am

Hi,

I'm at a loss on how to deal with a significant other's behavior. I've tried for many years to understand, but I'm now beyond the ability to get any headway. So I've joined with forum hoping its a place I can post the behavoir and at least get an idea why they behave in such a way.

Starting with is what I would describe as "not wanting to enjoy one's self"

Any situation that could be classed as becoming enjoyable, going out for a meal, a drink, relaxation (watching tv or a film) especially at a non-normal time, e.g. lunch drink, afternoon tv.

This will always be greeted with either a proviso that will 'kill' the enjoyment or a flat refusal.
Interestingly on a recent trip with her sister's family, the sister had a near-exact attitude. Suggesting that is could be based upon upbringing.

What I would like to know is what is this type of behaviour called, what could cause it and how would one suggest dealing with it?
ChiefDruid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Understand a close relatives behaviour

Postby NewSunRising » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:17 pm

I'm not sure if this is similar but I have a relative that exists in a near constant state of pessimism and negativity . I have also learned to just stop trying to get them to be ( even a little ) more optimistic and positive . It only triggers a defensive lecture .

I have also known a few folks with this particular trait : Nothing is a good idea unless they were the ones who thought of it .

People like that are tough to interact with .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Re: Understand a close relatives behaviour

Postby ChiefDruid » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Yes she has these trails as well. She will 'sulk' especially if the idea isn't hers. But in a difference she won't suggest anything that one would call pleasurable. To add she is incapable of showing excitment. When this is questioned she always reply's how can you be excited about something that hasn't happened yet.
ChiefDruid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post