Our partner

are u immune to narcissistis?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

are u immune to narcissistis?

Postby saucygirl31 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 pm

do u not take the narcissistis bs personally? confident in your abilities? get along w pretty much everyone?

maybe you have a naricissistic parent?

i suspect my dad to be one, and my mom an enabler. very used to narcissists. in the work place too. i had a friend in a mental health facility who was diagnosed w npd and we got along fine (mostly because he was gay). i have several gay friends who buy me *mod edit*

sometimes ppl who are immune have tough backgrounds of there own.

did you have a good or bad relationship w the narcissistis u know?

me and my family are on good terms but i suspect when i was younger my dad rubbed off on my face. and maybe thats why i am similar, or can tolerate them.
- ur gril saucy
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: are u immune to narcissistis?

Postby poxalis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:48 pm

i just avoid them or if that's too much trouble then I ignore when they get narcy. there's no benefit to engage.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:33 am

Postby saucygirl31 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:57 pm

if the narcissist looks up to you he can be just as giving as he can be taking.
- ur gril saucy
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:33 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:07 pm

saucygirl31 wrote:if the narcissist looks up to you he can be just as giving as he can be taking.

Agreed. You just have to watch if they turn on you.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby poxalis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:20 pm

saucygirl31 wrote:if the narcissist looks up to you he can be just as giving as he can be taking.

if they are a friend or family i still engage, but not when their personality disorder is out to play. then i just shut up and nod.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Esmoke » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pm

If I’m being completely honest, I find them annoying and difficult to be around for any period of time and usually end up going no contract because I can’t stand them. Small doses is ok most of the time but could not do a regular thing. Had a ‘friend’ really high on the spectrum he was obsessed with me started stalking behaviors because I was ghosting him because he’s obnoxious. I don’t even talk to him, nothing there as far as I’m concerned.
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:14 pm

People usually talk of being aware of their symptoms on this forum and that they play them up or down to maneuver people and situations.
^
But what about people who blatantly show traits, but don't believe there's anything atypical about their mentality and behaviours?
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:33 am

Postby Esmoke » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 pm

DaturaInnoxia wrote:People usually talk of being aware of their symptoms on this forum and that they play them up or down to maneuver people and situations.
^
But what about people who blatantly show traits, but don't believe there's anything atypical about their mentality and behaviours?

How do you mean?

-- Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:29 pm --

This guy was literally like a child like someone else mentioned. Same stupid games you would expect from a pre teen. Nothing really clever about it, he was manipulative but it was usually that he would do anything for you but try to guilt trip you into doing everything he wants to do. It was really see through and took a lot of energy to maintain a friendship with. Just not worth it
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Akuma » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:56 pm

saucygirl31 wrote:do u not take the narcissistis bs personally? confident in your abilities? get along w pretty much everyone?

Ive met a guy when he was just 30 and back then I was 16 who is a relatively cliché version of a pwNPD. Like a pseudo-personality, needs lots of praise from others, very egocentric, helper complex that shines back on himself etc etc. Back then actually I didnt really get that, I found him to be quite cool and interesting, and I found his convictions and actions to be much more authentic then they were.
Few months ago I called him up after ages of not having talked because hes also into photography and I was lookin for a photographer for a new business. To my surprise the guy had not changed at all - or well I shouldnt be surprised as these pseudo-personalities of course cant really evolve. But since I myself have evolved quite a bit in the last years especially, it was kinda boring and sobering to talk to him. Never gave him the job either, just had an open ended I will get back to you kind of thing and that was it. So while this is the only "typical" version I know, I would say I find them boring and irrelevant. Theres no need to make a topic out of it, or to deal with them, as they just dont fit with my perspective on life or my intention to grow.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 pm

How do you mean?

I'm not asking in order to insult people with NPD or be passive aggressive

-- and me doing so, would be hypocritical as ###$ given I (like everyone here) am disordered.

I'm genuinely trying to understand people who unconsciously almost think that they're the center of the universe.

Gaslighting, manipulation, blackmail, character assassination, a little bit of sadism, psychological and physical abuse is normal, or more so, an overreaction by those who experience or witness it.
^
They really believe the rest of the world is just too sensitive.

Yet, if you dare crush an eggshell around them, you are cruel and have no empathy or compassion (same with if you're not ok with the above behavior) - and they genuinely believe it.

They themselves, even when feeling benevolent, lack empathy and only take into account whether they benefit (and they don't understand that this is abnormal in a variety of scenarios).
They can justify betraying anyone because of it.

Like, they could hit someone with their car and genuinely be upset about how selfish the person was for not jumping out of the way fast enough.
A person who genuinely believes the world is there to serve them.

Entitlement for things like doctors should take their personal phone calls, open up immediate appointments, accept faxes for requests of new prescriptions, store managers should make special exceptions in prices for them, laws should make exceptions, etc.

All these things to the point that they've repelled everyone around them (aside from one enabler whom they have total control over)
- partly because they're very easily frustrated and they will antagonize, scream and yell and occassionally try to get violent if they dont get their way and because they percieve people as being selfish and ignorant to their needs.
Yet, they literally don't see these types of things as abnormal - it's truly like a blank.

I've been wondering for a while now if it could be organic or what it is
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:33 am

Next

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum