Our partner

Self righteous mom? Any suggestion

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Self righteous mom? Any suggestion

Postby Nash6523 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:11 am

How do you deal with extremely argumentative family relatives. im 40 btw

got a family member who spilling lecturing me on their so called motivational talk about to work harder, and go up in company and i should go make more money and more money. when i told her that it isnt always aboout working hard but knowing the right people, social intetelligence, charisma, mental power, having the drive and being on your grind helps a lot too . Its a combo of a lot of things.

She argues and thinks its all about working hard and thats it. MInd your she aint successful at all. Told her im listening social influencer on youtube who have social proof and recceipts to prove it. She argues that it wont work for you since everyone is different. blah blah

i then tell her story aboout micheal jordan bulls how he wouldnt be able to do it all along. he had a lot help
She then says i dont care about other people.

seems like she likes arguing and when she runs out of gas then says i dont care.

This is just an example but there are multiple cases and stories i can tell you. She just loves to argue and be self righteous attitude. When you give back you comments she shuts it down and says ok conversation is over. She a big instigator for arguments .

any suggesions? is this a form of gas lighting
Nash6523
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Self righteous mom? Any suggestion

Postby thegentlepath » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Nash6523, You can’t change other people, but you can change how you react. It takes two to tango. Don’t argue with her. Something I say to my own Mother is: “Well, not everyone is perfect like you.” :lol: But everyone is a unique, special, & sensitive snowflake, so that might not work for you. Good luck.
thegentlepath
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (121)

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum