Our partner

Does this sound like someone with NPD?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Does this sound like someone with NPD?

Postby iknow » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:04 am

Hey guys, this may be long.. I've been trying to figure this situation out.

There's this person who called herself my friend.. but has continually behaved in ways that would be more consistent with an enemy.. but kinda gaslights and spins things when I'd question certain behaviors and actions. I'm really thinking she's NPD and when she realized she'd get no financial gain from me... her envious narcness took over. I'll give some examples..

Early on it would be pretty subtle things.. very disguised subtle belittling jabs.. just enough to say "hey.. you suck". I've shared the convos with family and friends.. because I wasn't sure if it was me misinterpreting or my own plethora of insecurities being projected and my past tendencies to push people away (well under control now), but they all saw what I saw. Still.. I brushed it off and it was just a light nagging feeling deep down. I can look past little flaws.. maybe it would pass.. I told myself. Our relationship had been quite complicated early on.. so I owed it time to settle a bit.
Things like her talking up other people in similar professions as mine.. while talking down me.. subtle, but there nonetheless. Many dismissive comments and signals.. too many to go into.. and I don't want to get overly personal anyway.

I'd also found out this 'friend' did something to essentially frame me with other people, very well knowing the consequences. That was very unfortunate.. and I withdrew for a time. Months later she offered a completely BS 'reason' for it.. and I was more insulted she thought I would believe that.. then the act itself bothered me. Why lie? Would someone with NPD make up a ridiculous lie they know you won't believe.. just to mess with you?

This person also makes accounts on the platform she knows I use (not this site).. as other people and thinks she's cleverly infiltrated lol It's odd, but I've played along just to see. I'm pretty convinced she just enjoys games and enjoys messing around with people at this point. I was warned about her years ago.. and didn't listen.. the source wasn't very credible.. but seemingly wasn't wrong either.
I've gotten quite close with a member of her family over the last 6 weeks.. and the more they share with me.. the more convinced I am of NPD. She loves to be a real thorn in my side it seems.

Most recently.. she totally crap talked me to a friend of mine, she sounded bitter and nasty. I shared those communications with her family member too. They say the passive aggressive isn't abnormal for her when things aren't going her way. When I look back to some of our last conversations.. I'm increasingly convinced her envy and lack of any financial gains from me turned her even more sour.

She is honestly up to no good.. driven by her envy and bitter nature. It's a shame she won't leave me be. What do you do with a suspected NPD that won't leave you alone? All the while playing innocent like they would never behave that way... and lying and twisting the narrative. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but writing it out and getting it out there is helpful in itself.
iknow
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Does this sound like someone with NPD?

Postby dontlookathim » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:21 pm

We can't diagnose here (for obvious reasons), but to me, she sure sounds extremely narcissistic! Cut off all ties if you haven't already and go NC. Nothing good can come from this.
dontlookathim
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:37 am

Re: Does this sound like someone with NPD?

Postby iknow » Sat May 02, 2020 6:18 am

dontlookathim wrote:We can't diagnose here (for obvious reasons), but to me, she sure sounds extremely narcissistic! Cut off all ties if you haven't already and go NC. Nothing good can come from this.

Hi dontlookathim, thanks for the reply. I too believe it's an extreme case of narcissism.. and several dashes of some kind of inferiority complex. I'm trying to get away from this toxic person, but they love games too much.. while protesting too much against them.. like bad 70's acting. Everything is like a game of psychological chess with her and her husband. They were recently on a forum (not this one, to be clear) attacking themselves under fake accounts, likely trying to frame me.. yet again. I mean, initially it was them doing it to themselves. Strange behavior!
iknow
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:37 pm

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post