Our partner

Seriously, girl?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Seriously, girl?

Postby Johei » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 am

Every time you think your family relationships can't get any more complicated, life hits you with another gem...
I spoke to my niece the other week, and she told me she had fallen in love.
I thought: 'About time!'
She's 15, going on 16, and it has never happened before.
But then she glossed over it, so I went 'c'mon, you can't just leave me hanging like this. Who is he/she? Did you meet through a hobby, at school?
It was school, but then she gingerly told me 'Erm... he's older than me...'
Me being a total moron at times, I went: 'Well, he can't be that much older, even if he's a senior...'

No.
It's a teacher...

Seriously girl?

So I calmly tried to find out or this thing was mutual, in which case I would have started loading my shotgun and found the guy's address, but it wasn't.

I then tried to explain to her that she could destroy this man's life if she acted on her feelings, but all she goes on about lately is how much she misses him (Her school is closed due to Corona)
Thank you, global pandemic!

I understand the heart wants what the heart wants, but how on Earth am I supposed to handle this?
Any advice is welcome, I'm at a loss here.
Johei
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Seriously, girl?

Postby Johei » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Had a follow-up talk with my baby girl today.
She's still completeley hung up on this guy, despite not seing him in over a week.
She's a smart and patient girl, but every advantage has a disadvantage; she went 'Perheaps in two years or so, when I am in college, I can go live with him. I won't do anything stupid, uncle, don't you trust my judgment?'

I went: 'I trust YOU, but I don't trust anyone else!'

If this guy hurts her, rest assurede that while his body may one day be found, it will never be identified...

I tried to tell her as much, and sang an old parody song to her: 'She'se my daughter, oh yeah, She'se my daughter,if you hurt her, abuse her, or make her sad, I'm gonna hurt you twice as bad'
Johei
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post