Our partner

NPD family member

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderator: xdude

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

NPD family member

Postby ocnlvr83 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:50 pm

I believe my sister has NPD, but she won't see a medical professional to be diagnosed. She is 34, living with our parents and one of our younger sisters in their apartment, and has been increasingly volatile in the last several months. She has always been "off", but our dad has always seen her behavior as "a phase," and has never pressed the issue that she see someone.

In the last few months, she has been telling outright lies to friends and acquaintances that she was abused as a kid (she wasn't--it was the just the two of us for the first seven years of her life, and I'd remember something like that), that our father is being manipulated by our mother, she has threatened to murder them more than once, and I am constantly living with the fear of the police showing up at my door or calling me to tell me my family has been murdered or severely maimed.

My dad won't see reason. He knows she needs to be seen, but he won't push her to see someone, especially since she is a grown adult, but mainly because he refuses to acknowledge that any of his kids have mental illness (yet he loves to tell us that we're all mental when he gets pissed off). She is seriously threatening the family, and I don't know how much more I can take.

I just needed somewhere to unload, so thanks for reading this, and if you have any advice, please let me know.
ocnlvr83
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: NPD family member

Postby realityhere » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am

The sister is 34 and your father says she's going thru a "phase". Puh-lease, she's an adult and is accountable for her behavior now that she's no longer a child. She's way past the age of going thru a "phase".

Please consider family counseling for either yourself and/or family members, even though your sister will likely not attend such sessions. You can't push other ppl into counseling if they don't think there's anything wrong about themselves or their children. (Sounds like dad doesn't want a bad reflection on him?) But a professional can help you/family members understand the family dynamics contributing to your sister's behavior and learn tactics on how to deal with her when her actions turn violent.

In the meantime, please advise your parents/ other family members about always keeping car keys available in their pockets and have an exit strategy, so they can leave a volatile situation quickly. For a family member who is a minor, that person should always know of an exit strategy, regardless of what parents may or may not do.
We don't delete posts, so think twice before clicking "submit".
realityhere
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post