Our partner

Is there anything I can do?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderators: mark1958, xdude

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Is there anything I can do?

Postby ReleaseMe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:05 pm

My newborn child's father (my ex boyfriend) has Bipolar Disorder. He completely rejected our child while I was pregnant, on a whim. He claimed he'd heard voices from "the Divine" telling him that me and our child are "evil and unnatural." He threatened to sue me in court for refusing an abortion. Our daughter is born now and he refuses to accept that she is real. He claimed I'd borrowed a professional child actor to pose as my child and that I was never really pregnant.

Last week he married a 19 year old girl (he is 42) he had been on 5 dates with. He said he married her because the door number of his previous apartment aligns with her date of birth.
His entire family of origin have disowned him now and none of them attended the wedding.

The girl he has married lives overseas and he sends loads of money to her. This seems to be her main motivation for marrying him.

Can he be helped at all?

Although he has been formally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder he refuses to accept the diagnosis, says the doctors are jealous of his "superior knowledge", refuses any form of meds or therapy and says he can heal his Bipolar Disorder with aromatherapy oils.
ReleaseMe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is there anything I can do?

Postby Snaga » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 am

Hello and welcome!

I moved your post to the Significant Others, Friends and Family forum- but left a link in Bipolar.

ReleaseMe wrote:Although he has been formally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder he refuses to accept the diagnosis, says the doctors are jealous of his "superior knowledge"

Just Bipolar? I understand that folks can get manic but this sounds.. past that to me?

I hope in moving it, if it sounds as if there's anything else going on, perhaps someone will be able to share a similar experience.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is there anything I can do?

Postby thegentlepath » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:22 pm

You may find this helpful: https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/Famil ... Caregivers

Nami stands for national alliance on mental illness. Good luck.
thegentlepath
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (89)

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum