Our partner

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND. BPD RESOLVED OR DIFFERENT PHASE?

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderators: mark1958, xdude

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND. BPD RESOLVED OR DIFFERENT PHASE?

Postby JTH » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Dear all,

I have been for a year and a half with someone. After a lot of thinking, I have reached the conclusion that it could be "quiet" BPD. Some of the symptons were self-harm, feelings of emptiness, isolation, sugar addiction, lack of self-esteem and mood swings, although never "acted out". These symptons had been there for 3 years.

The thing is that last month we broke up because I could not bare with the situation (also I was burnt out after a year and did not understand what BPD was). No, after a month and talking things through, we are somehow back. She presents barely symptoms, she has recovered relations with other people, she is on a strict diet. In short, she looks a different person. To be completely honest, the last months of the relationship showed improvement of symptons and she was feeling a higher sense of self-control. Yet, this sudden change looks too extreme to be real. Also, although she is able to realise what she has gone through, she has not been to therapy whatsoever, so it has been "spontaneous".

So the question is the following: can BPD symptons dissapear or reduce dramatically in only a month and a half, and without treatement? Is it part of a natural recovery or the break up has something to do (consciously or unconsciously)?

Perhaps more in short: are her symptons going or these kind of partial recoveries are normal in BPDs?
JTH
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:59 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND. BPD RESOLVED OR DIFFERENT PHASE?

Postby Rocky71 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Seems to me like she's made an effort to work on herself to become a better person. Regardless if she has a personality disorder or not, this is commendable on her part. If I were you, I would do my best to encourge and support her. Have you done anything to better yourself?

Don't get caught up in trying to predict her behaviour. Actions speak louder then words.
Rocky71
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 am

Re: PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND. BPD RESOLVED OR DIFFERENT PHASE?

Postby xdude » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am

Hey JTH,

Hard to know if someone has BPD, and even a professional would need time to come to that conclusion. If it is though, personally I am doubtful that someone with BPD just gets better spontaneously. They may go through some phases of improvement, but if the core issues haven't been addressed, they are still there and the symptoms likely to return.

That written, yea the advice to be supportive of her improvement in the now makes sense.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 am

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum