Our partner

Adderall - What more can I do???

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.

Moderators: mark1958, xdude

Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Adderall - What more can I do???

Postby Bob Loblaugh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi. 1st time posting.

My daughter (29 yrs old) had a wonderful life and personality, good marriage to a decent guy, and 2 great kids. About 2 months or so ago, she somehow obtained a few Adderall, and decided she wanted a perscription. She asked around to find out what she needed to do & say to get a perscription, and ended up getting a 3-month prescription about a month and a half ago (30 mg). Within 2 or 3 weeks, she transformed into a paranoid, irrational and frequently hysterical basket case. I know she's not telling the psychiatrist that she throws up everything she eats, rarely sleeps, or that she goes through monster soda by the case. She's absolutely become a monster, constantly having panic attacks about "someone's trying to steal my Adderall" or "steal my kids" or "plot against me and ruin my life" etc...

It's very painful to see her in this bizarre mental state. The only thing we could think of, was to let her doctor know what was happening. We did that. Her doctor had her come in the following week (which unleashed a profanity-laced tirade from our previously kind & well-mannered daughter). She can be very convincing, and apparently fooled the doctor again, as she's still popping 30 mg every morning.

Aside from calling the doctor, is there ANYTHING, short of an intervention, that we or her husband can do? He is also at his wits end, and despite trying not to upset her in any way, he still bears the brunt of her tantrums. I'm afraid he is on the verge of giving up, which I think would only make things worse.

There HAS to be some way of alerting her psychiatrist (or the doctor's office) that they are killing her. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Loblaugh
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Adderall - What more can I do???

Postby nic123 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:01 am

I know this is a really old post but I was wondering how your daughters doing now?
I’m experiencing the same thing with my soon to be ex-husband the dramatic change in a person whenthey get on Adderall is unreal.
I have been dealing in the last year and a half with severe anxiety, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts constant rants he also has other addiction issues but Adderall turned him into a different person.
nic123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby realityhere » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:44 am

Is your husband using Adderall as a legit Rx for a disorder or not? If it is legit, it's possible the dosage regimen may need to be changed or he is abusing the drug. Is he seeing a doctor or a psychiatrist? If he is a patient, is it possible to email or phone this medical professional and privately voice your concerns about your husband? The other addictions and Adderall can make for a nasty combo.
AWAY from mod duties, please contact another moderator.
realityhere
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:19 am

Postby nic123 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:31 am

My husband was diagnosed with ADD as a child he spent about two or three days in the hospital for evaluation. In that evaluation they were also comments of a potential mood disorder as well.
He was on Ritilan in high school and then has not been on anything the entire time we’re together up until two years ago
He gets it from a doctor not a psychiatrist. I know he would take more than the required because he would run out of his 30 day supply.
He started out with instant release and very soon graduated to 30 mg XR.
He unfortunately filed for divorce back in July so we don’t have much conversation anymore this really is on him to figure out at this point he won’t listen to anything I say.
I thought about doing an anonymous phone call and I kind of go back-and-forth with that.
My husband has had past and present addiction issues. I posted my entire story on this site.
Do you know somebody that is on Adderall?
nic123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby realityhere » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 am

"As for your last question, if your husband was sober, would he still want the divorce? Hard to say, but it seems he's burned his bridges already and there may be no way back. I have a question for you-- say he does get sober and stays sober, would you take him back after what he put you through?"

I still stand by what I said in the other post.

Until your husband hits bottom, and unfortunately that may be what has to happen before he realizes what the combo of addictions and legit Rx's are doing to his mind and body, there's no way you're gonna make him change and seek help. You can bring a horse to water, but ya can't make him drink it.

Why an anonymous phone call to his doctor? Who would believe that, no cred to an anonymous caller, you know? What's the point of hiding your identity, when matters are already out of hand, you're in the midst of a divorce and the family is trying to cover for him? What do you have to gain from being "anonymous"?
AWAY from mod duties, please contact another moderator.
realityhere

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:19 am

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum