Our partner

How do you make a decision for a real medical issue?

Factitious Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How do you make a decision for a real medical issue?

Postby MrPink » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:21 am

Knowing or acknowledging you may have factitious disorder or doctors think this of you really at first is a shock. Did doctors come out and tell you or did you read it in your medical record? I found out after reading my medical record that it was diagnosed a year earlier but no one bothered to tell me or sit down and discuss it.

After you find out you have this, how have you been able to change your behavior or what strategies have you used to go to the doctor less? Are you truly faking and making things up? Or are you making things seem worse than they are?
MrPink
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do you make a decision for a real medical issue?

Postby Selfless74 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:53 am

Hi,

Both, I think magnification is definitely an issue-so is overcompensating for what is "in your head" (guess what, that is normal, overcompensating).

And as for the question of did anyone tell me? Nope-I too, read about it, when leaning over my doctor's shoulder. But given how most typically react when someone confronts us, or even does say much, as it is scary to think that anyone does this, the surgery, etc, but the last time, I realized they were also right.

Chaning this is really a simple process. Go to 12 Step meetings, get a sponsor, and work the steps (AA/NA, and for me, Emotions Anonyous).

A year after I have done so, I am gainfully employed, I have stock, a 401K, am in school, and now, I take no medications, save some oils, and some supplements-and since I work 3rd shift, I do take Ny-Quil to help me sleep.

And I feel better mentally and physically. All that psychiatry has to offer, is (ironic) is as I call it, a "Bunch of pills." Don't want em, now, don't need em, and when I think about the physical and emotional disabiliy all of that stuff has caused, I become nauseated (sorta, you get what I mean).

This is the only way I know of to stop the destructive process in a FD. I simply have a talent that now that I don't take a bunch of pills, I can do-and that is to write fiction. My new job, it is also something that gives me purpose. My disability says I have bipolar (and yes, like faking schizophrenia, because both are worse than what I do, anything is), so giving it back, felt good.

And let no shrink tell you ever, that the answer is not a spiritual one.

Making a decision for a real medical issue, it must be a conscious one, all my surgery, etc?

Not a conscious decision. Once you work the steps, it does become one.

-- Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 am --

What also helps, is having a real medical issue.
Selfless74

Diagnosis: Factitious Disorder, recovered (1 year on 1/17/2018)
PTSD

Medication: Lamotrigine (100mg twice daily)-indication, nerve pain, helps mood too.
Selfless74
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby MrPink » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:36 am

Therein lies the dilemma -the real medical issue(s) stopping me from working due to limitations and procedures. For the first time they don't have me all hopped up on pills and I fought for it and so did the doctors. This feels good. Sure I do hurt. But there is a quality in the pain-it's me. I do work part time right now and have nearly a year - prior to that I was volunteering. Although disabled I did try to keep skills and contribute. However, being fully productive such as you are is what I aspire to be again. Well done! Thank you for the idea of the 12 step program as I have looked further into this. I never heard of Emotional Anon so great idea, appreciate it.

There is a process here of self discovery to occupy that time and create a space with positive people and things I enjoy as well as want to share or talk about with others rather than talk about health problems.
MrPink
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Selfless74 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:36 am

Mr Pink,

No question in my mind that you soon will be.

In the AA Big Book, it says that many do recover if they have the capacity to be honest, I believe that it is the case that anyone can recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

And you can't treat someone safely if they are not being honest with you.

All of these things are examples of the Promises of a Recovery program will be ones that will also come true for you. No question, but the 4th step is the most anxiety producing, but I know you can do that.

I elected to stop taking the Lamotrigine, though it worked great for the chronic pain, it was doing me no favors mentally. I was at times, acting like an adolescent, so I think when I told my phamacist that the pain was better and it was causing mental symptoms, that what my comment was, "It was changing me, man, and I like myself just fine."

The only thing i tell people is that I have PTSD, and most know tha tmeds don't help that. It shuts down any discussion of the seemingly endless sea of docs who are constantly waving a prescription for an antidepressant at you-keep it.

Since I take no regular medications other than what I have shared here, it also ends the discussions of also always making sure to get that psychiatry referral in. First, and foremost-I don't know about you, but I also hate it. More to me than a diagnosis mental or otherwise.

And in a 12 step program, no one judges you.

What I see happening in my life now, is called the Promises.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~recovery/promises.html

Self will gets you nowhere, and God's will does get you what you need.

No, I have stopped. A first, I broke my kneecap (badly), and it wound up needing surgery.

Sounds stupid to some, maybe, but basically, with self harm, I believe it is diffuclt to stop because it really isn't a conscious decision. One that has intent.

Once you go through the steps, I have found that the Promises start coming true with Step 9. But start with Step one. One day at a time, Easy does it-and that is never BS.

Only thing is when you sober up a horse theif, what you still have, is a horse thief.

It does get better, and there is always hope.
Selfless74

PTSD

Medication: Lamotrigine (100mg twice daily)-indication, nerve pain, helps mood too.
Selfless74
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Selfless74 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:11 pm

MrPink wrote:Therein lies the dilemma -the real medical issue(s) stopping me from working due to limitations and procedures. For the first time they don't have me all hopped up on pills and I fought for it and so did the doctors. This feels good. Sure I do hurt. But there is a quality in the pain-it's me. I do work part time right now and have nearly a year - prior to that I was volunteering. Although disabled I did try to keep skills and contribute. However, being fully productive such as you are is what I aspire to be again. Well done! Thank you for the idea of the 12 step program as I have looked further into this. I never heard of Emotional Anon so great idea, appreciate it.

There is a process here of self discovery to occupy that time and create a space with positive people and things I enjoy as well as want to share or talk about with others rather than talk about health problems.

What just happened with my knee, is an example. Insane as it may sount, none of it was ever a conscious decision. Keeping that in mind, I will share what happened this week.

When you work 3rd shift, you keep the same schedule when you are on your days off. You function better. I was taking the garbage out at 03:30 (am), when I slipped and fell on the ice (ER doc said, "It is 57 degrees" and I replied, "yeah, man, and I found you some ice". Broke my kneecap was all that I was told.

And what I said was that before I sign any consent for surgery that I need to speak to the doctor-about returning to work, but tell me more than "You broke your kneecap and now are having surgery."

Broke it in half from what he said, which right there indicates sugery. He had to literally put some hardware in my knee to bring the two pices of my kneecap together and hold them that way. This makes it a conscious decision, safe to say.

And that I take no medications, also makes it easier for them to trust me-I was honest about the weed, took some heat for it anyhow, but I know that the doctor wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't say something-I do live in the midwest.
Selfless74

PTSD

Selfless74
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby MrPink » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 pm

In the past we would simply go to the doctor for x, y, z and not think about it which is a behavior we are trying to change.

What would be a proposed model of healthy questions to ask oneself before going to a doctor?

Hey normal people? What do you ask yourself before going to a doctor, clinic, hospital?
MrPink
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby stargazer47 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:49 am

Do I really need to be here? :D
Diagnosis: Human
Meds: The Word

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." -2 Corinthians 12:9
stargazer47
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Factitious Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post