Our partner

Should I reveal I was diagnosed with Factitious Disorder?

Factitious Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Should I reveal I was diagnosed with Factitious Disorder?

Postby Peri » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:50 pm

I have numerous concerns about mentioning my diagnosis to others. If I do so, they may:

1. Cease having sympathy for me, even for things I am actually struggling with.
2. View all of my actions and statements with suspicion, fearing that I am simply "exaggerating" or "making things up".
3. Lose sight of me as a person, and instead focus on viewing me through the lense of my disorder.
4. Terminate their relationship with me, feeling as though I have routinely deceived them or taken advantage of them.

Despite these risks, I still feel a strong desire to tell others. Perhaps this is because I simply desire a degree of sympathy and attention that may, in some cases, follow telling someone you have a disorder. Regardless, I feel very torn between staying silent and speaking up. I'd greatly appreciate any opinions on how I should proceed.
Peri
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Should I reveal I was diagnosed with Factitious Disorder?

Postby Veritatem » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi Peri

It's a complex question with no easy answer

Depends on who and why?

Personally I will.not be talking about it in depth to anyone except my therapist but that's because of the shame I currently feel and selfishly I don't want to experience the lack of trust and suspicion I would imagine to be a natrual response to such a disclosure.

But this is just my personal feelings. I've not been in therapy long so maybe I will change my mind in the future.

It's hard enough looking in the mirror without other people's opinions or judgements clouding things

How are you coping with FD? Hope things are going well for you if you are in therapy x
Veritatem
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 pm

Re: Should I reveal I was diagnosed with Factitious Disorder?

Postby Selfless74 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Peri,

If you're concerned about the amount of sympathy you may get (in this case, I can garuntee you that keep it up and you will get the opposite).

Personally, if the idea comes up, be honest (more likely to get EMPATHY if you are sick (ONLY IF).
Selfless74

Diagnosis: Factitious Disorder, recovered (1 year on 1/17/2018)
PTSD

Medication: Lamotrigine (100mg twice daily)-indication, nerve pain, helps mood too.
Selfless74
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:52 pm

Return to Factitious Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post