Our partner

Feigned Bipolar Disorder. Backing out of it?

Factitious Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Feigned Bipolar Disorder. Backing out of it?

Postby not_mike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:19 pm

So I don't have Factitious Disorder, per se.

I am in fact a full blown, highly Machiavellian psychopath. I frequent the ASPD forum.

A while ago, I got arrested on computer hacking charges and was facing a possible lengthy prison sentence. As a strategy, I decided to fake schizophrenia.

I checked myself into a mental hospital complaining of auditory and visual hallucinations, mania and racing thoughts, while maintaining I didn't want to hurt anyone else or myself. I got CT scanned, and schizophrenia went out the window in favor of Bipolar type I.

I got examined by a forensic psychologist, and pulled the wool over his eyes too. I had a solid insanity defense.

I pretended the entire time to be taking my meds, and gradually "improving" at each doctor's visit.

Excellent proof, by the way, that the Rosenhan Study has the same outcome 40 years later! :D

Then my case suddenly took a turn for the better, and faking madness was no longer the least worst option.

So now I'm looking for a graceful exit from my fake bipolar disorder, as I want to get a pilot's license in the next year, and it is a disqualifier from an FAA medical certification. I don't want to come clean that I faked it, as this is a disqualifier for many defense jobs.

Best idea I've heard thus far is to recommend to my psychiatrist that I start reducing my medication to see if "symptoms return" and then he'll realize he must have misdiagnosed me when they don't.

Any input? I'm looking for some good ideas here. :mrgreen:
To learn how deep the rabbit hole goes, one must grok (NOT X AND Y AND Z)AND(((X NAND Y)NOR(X AND Y))IMPLIES X AND Z) fully, and then fly the lampscooter to the airport.

They say I know how deep the rabbit hole goes, I obturatio tempus occupandi secreta
not_mike
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun May 22, 2022 5:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Feigned Bipolar Disorder. Backing out of it?

Postby not_mike » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:08 pm

So I came up with a possible solution: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19407709

My doc already knows I was (actually) a heavy caffeine user.

What does everyone think?
To learn how deep the rabbit hole goes, one must grok (NOT X AND Y AND Z)AND(((X NAND Y)NOR(X AND Y))IMPLIES X AND Z) fully, and then fly the lampscooter to the airport.

They say I know how deep the rabbit hole goes, I obturatio tempus occupandi secreta
not_mike
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Recovered45 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Caffiene psychosis is very very very rare. That won't fly IMO.

Usually when you get a mental illness diagnosis, it is permenant, even if its a misdiagnosis of some sort, they tend to keep it, just to protect their own arses professionally, and not make waves. You might be able to presuade a psychiatrist it was drug psychosis (especially if we are not talking "multiple episodes") say amphetamines or psychedelics.

I can't think of much else that would create delusional or hallucinatory symptoms temporarily.

BTW, what the heck does the cat scan have to do with anything? they can't physically diagnose any mental illness, its all made up criteria and symptoms and such (which is why you'll have a hard time backing out of this, without a sold alternative diagnosis).

I think your options are drugs (could be pharmaceutical....the painkiller tramadol can cause psychosis, but you wont have it on your medical records) , or do come clean about lying.

On a side note, if your story is true, I congradulate you for proving that psychiatrists dont have a clue, and on your obviouslly okay acting skills. Still confused about the cat scan part of your story but all the same. Also, perhaps this devalues actually mental ill people, if indeed there is such a thing, but meh, still a fun story :P

Electrolyte imbalance, and hyperthyroidism, menengitis and some other diseases can masquerade as bipolar, but you couldnt fake those without putting your life in real danger, so a very bad idea.

Yeah, I think, drugs, or fessing up, are your alternative options. I think if you fessed up, you could tell an interesting story. If you go with drugs, it will have to be something consistant with your behaviour, and you will have to "guiltily" admit that youve been using them at reasonably high levels. Then, you "normalise" and "quit". I think all that will be hard to pull off in all likelyhood, and they still may be reluctant to remove the diagnosis (as I said, it tends to be permenant).

As odd as it may seem, if you have meet the criteria at the time of diagnosis (even if you actually don't and they just get it wrong), and then you never experience another symptom for the rest of your life, because psychiatry operates under an "organic disease model", which is to say, they assume something is wrong with your actual brain, even though they have no proof - they will still regard you as bipolar. Which, is pretty odd, I have to admit, but thats the way it is.

In fact, even if you come out and said you faked it, they may not beleive you, and still leave you with the diagnosis. Thats how much of a religion this is. The only way out would be to really truelly convince them they had the wrong diagnosis (say drug induced psychosis), or to somehow demonstrate you were lying (but I have no idea how you would prove this, because the whole diagnosis process is made up anyway, as you discovered by being able to completely fool it). In fact i kind of doubt anyone would admit they screwed up, unless you have some kind of credible witness, I am not sure they would accept you lied either.

Your dealing with religion. You tricked it, but now it beleives your fantasy. It wont be easy to get out of that IMO.

And I dont think caffiene will even close to cut it. There are less than a handful of case reports. If your going to sell drug psychosis, youll need more acting, more planning, and more conventionally associated drug - amphetamine, cocaine, marijuana, lsd.

It might be worth figuring out which is worse for your future - bipolar, drug psychosis, or lying. Its probably lying TBH, if you can even sell that.

Besides who wants to be in the defence force? (well not me anyway). You could maybe join the foreign legion, or a paramilitary group, or be a mercenary if your set on violence? But there might be other career choices you would enjoy too.

Good luck BTW.

Let us know what you decide. Thanks for sharing too.
"Some patients have a mental illness and then get well and then they get weller! I mean they get better than they ever were .... This is an extraordinary and little-realized truth" - Karl Menninger MD
Recovered45
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby not_mike » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm

I'd told them on admission that my caffeine intake had recently been 3-4g per day. I was actually seriously on that much caffeine.

So considering this is twice the amount cited in the case reports of psychosis, I think I might have a shot at it. (Also on the low end of typical lethal doses :lol: )

I think my shrink is a bit incompetent, because he was very convinced I was schizophrenic, but totally threw that out from just a CT scan. He said "no enlarged ventricles" proved I couldn't be schizophrenic. :?

not_mike
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Recovered45 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:18 am

I suppose at that dose, its viable, specially as you mentioned it (hopefully somebody actually recorded that!).

Still if your psych is that incompetent (the ventricle idea is pretty old fashioned really), its going to depend on his particular form of incompetence as to whether you can lead him to that idea or not.

I guess it would help alot if you played it right. For example, if you were on only a mood stabilizer effective for mania (and not an anti-psychotic), and then reported upping your dose of caffiene once more and experiencing symptoms, or something like that.

Just remember when leading doctors and psychiatrists keep any extraneous "facts" out of the picture, mention all the associated "facts" (caffiene dosage, symptoms), present those facts in a recognisable form but keep it "lay" (don't want them suspicious of being lead either, so it should be a casual sort of, prompted description of your situation -you know what I mean no doubt, you're probably excellent at lying), and generally speaking you want to not, make or even suggest the conclusion -doctors like to feel like detectives, and in charge, so if you put forth a conclusion, they'll be more inclined to ignore it.

That stuff is probably all redundant for someone who has gotten as far as you have with a lie, but I guess, if you played it right, and the doctor was inclined to at least hit up google, you could possibly pull it off? I dunno.

Ultimately its up to ya...
"Some patients have a mental illness and then get well and then they get weller! I mean they get better than they ever were .... This is an extraordinary and little-realized truth" - Karl Menninger MD
Recovered45
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby not_mike » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 am

Reporting back.

It worked :mrgreen:

Happy psychopath is happy.

Stickin' it to the man! :lol:

Yet more proof that Psychiatry in fact has more in common with Astrology than... say... Oncology. No offense to any psychiatrists who may be reading. Your "discipline" just requires a major lesson in scientific rigor :?

not_mike
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Recovered45 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:16 pm

So they switched the dx to caffiene psychosis?

Wow, nice one. Was it tricky to pull that off, how did that go down?

True about the astrology bit :P
Recovered45
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby not_mike » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I told my psychiatrist that I'd been taking high doses of caffeine again recently, and noticed it made my symptoms return. Then I showed him the article where the guy flipped out on half the doses I was on...

I asked if he could ween me off meds to see if I might be the same case.

He agreed to take me off of all meds, and said if my symptoms didn't return in a few weeks it was probably all caffeine related given my high dosing. :mrgreen:

not_mike
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Etzel » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 pm

lol, good to know it worked. This thread is a great example for explaining why I even joined this forum in the first place: amidst all the retardness, there's plenty of health to be found. Specially liked this bit lol:

In fact, even if you come out and said you faked it, they may not beleive you, and still leave you with the diagnosis. Thats how much of a religion this is.
A book is a mirror: if an ape looks into it an apostle is hardly likely to look out. We have no words for speaking of wisdom to the stupid. He who understands the wise is wise already.
Etzel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bipolar123 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:36 am

People like to pretend to be lot of things. Psychopaths, for instance.

Enlarged ventricles? lol
bipolar123
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Factitious Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post