Our partner

Social phobia

Exposure therapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Social phobia

Postby loudsilence » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Will exposure help me overcome my extreme social phobia? And how to I do this?
loudsilence
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Social phobia

Postby Chucky » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:07 am

Hi,

Exposure is a good way to do it alright. Don't go 100% into it though. For starters, just take a walk in your local area and - when you feel more comfortable - then take a walk along the main street of your town/city. It's all abot building up your social 'confidence' in stages. So, no more 'social anxiety'; just 'social confidence'.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 am

Postby brokenopen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:46 am

I'm just starting to do exposure therapy with my current therapist. You have to start out slowly or you will feel overwhelmed. The idea is to stay with the anxiety, regardless of how intense it becomes. You repeat the same activity until your anxiety lessens and it becomes easier for you. My first activity involved imagining myself in a situation that causes me anxiety and telling the story to my therapist. I was in a store in the story, asking for something embarrassing. We made a list of ten things I fear the most and we are going to approach them all gradually and slowly. We are starting with the one I fear the least (which I told her not to give any of them less credit, I'm afraid of all of them...she had to help me make the list) and working our way up to the one I fear the most. My therapist read the success rate percentages to me, they are fairly high. I figure that I have nothing to lose in trying it.
An extremely anxious and depressed individual with a Borderline personality.
"I don't know if I'm getting better or just used to the pain."
brokenopen
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 3:27 am

Postby jennysteven » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 am

Online therapy is likely the easiest way for a person with this phobia to get the help they need. You can talk with the therapist so that eliminates the uncomfortable atmosphere. Now, although it is easier for the patient because they do not talk to the therapist in person, but from the comfort of your own home, can still be a little uncomfortable for the patient to be open with someone they do not know and are unfamiliar with.
Edted by Chucky
jennysteven
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 am

Postby penguincuddles » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:09 am

Well you write a list of your fears in order from least to most scary then start with the least scary for example first on your list might be go to the mall so then you go to the mall and you keep doing that until you get less anxious then you work your way down the list
The only way to overcome fear is to face it :)
penguincuddles
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Return to Exposure Therapy