Our partner

He's abusing my Mother!!

Open Discussions About Abuse of the Elderly.

He's abusing my Mother!!

Postby Zarkonn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:03 pm

Hello,
My mother who is 66 has her grandson living with her and my father. He has been living with them practically his whole life, he is 22 yrs old.

Over the years he has stolen anything that he could sell for drugs. My father will not confront him.

He is constantly (almost every day ) verbally abusing his grandmother, yelling, screaming, calling her terrible names.. [ I could go on and on ] but my basic question is what recourse do my parents have against him?

He laughs in their face when they threaten to kick him out. We're all very frustrated here... help??

Thank you for any advice!!

Zarkonn

miketroupt@peoplpc.com
Zarkonn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 7:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby sweetngentle » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:36 pm

Zarkonn,

Is it possible and would it help if your mother would get her son out of her house and then get a restraining order against him? I know this may seem a bit much, but maybe it's the only thing that will work in this situation.

Sweetngentle
Blessed are those
who can give without
remembering, and take
without forgetting.
sweetngentle
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 2:51 pm

Postby bereft » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Zarkonn,

Elder abuse falls under the same guidelines as child abuse. Your local community family abuse and crisis center should be able to give you advice or refer you to the local agency that protects elders.

If you have trouble finding a place in your area, if you will give us more information maybe we can locate some service for you.

Good luck,
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Postby sweethappyprincess » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:09 pm

If he is addicted to drugns then he should be send to a rehab. and why your father not even think about to control him.
sweethappyprincess
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Re: He's abusing my Mother!!

Postby Jim in Texas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:56 pm

My uncle Milt was an alcoholic who spent his whole life just living off his parents and then with my father after they died until he drank himself to death. My stepfather lived with his parents all his life until he committed suicide. There is nothing more frightening than having to grow up and become a self-supporting adult but it is not good for people to make them dependent on support from a family they aren't being supportive of in return. Families should always be available to offer advice and encouragement and emergency mutual assistance to each other but every adult is ultimately responsible for managing their own life. We all need to learn how to take care of ourselves without family support as a rite of passage into adulthood. I did it by joining the Army.
My sisters and nieces did it by finding small jobs and taking college classes to prepare to get better jobs and starting their own families. If somebody has substance abuse problems obviously they will be more successful in life getting rid of them with some sort of rehab program but the only sort of future where adults don't need to learn to be managing their own life is as a prison convict.
Jim in Texas
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Return to Elder Abuse